Light Source for Viewing 35mm Negatives

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by FilmOnly, Nov 25, 2011.

1. FilmOnly

FilmOnly Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I recently bought an Artograph A920 light pad and Peak 8x loupe for viewing my negatives. I had been looking at my negs using the light from the incandescent bulb (60W) in a lamp and the 2x magnifier on my compass. Obviously, this was a very awkward way to view negs. I thought the A920 and Peak would greatly improve things. Indeed, viewing is much more comfortable with the light pad and loupe. The Peak also provides excellent magnification. However, the lamp bulb seems to offer more brightness, and makes looking for things (imperfections and such) a bit easier. I went for the A920 because it is an LED unit, and I figured that LEDs would be better on my eyes. I had considered the Porta Trace unit, but wanted to avoid florescent bulbs. Also, I thought the Peak 8X was supposed to have a focusing feature, but I do no see any way to focus it. I welcome your comments.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2011
  2. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't think I have encountered a discontinuous spectrum light source that I would ever call 'easy' or 'comfortable' on my eyes. I prefer incandescent lamps.

3. StigHagen

StigHagen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Im looking at Artograph LightPad (LED) for viewing negatives, maybe I will buy. Any more comments on them compared to normal lightboxes?