Lighted light switch-quick!!

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by David Ruby, Sep 24, 2003.

1. David Ruby

David Ruby Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My electrician uncle is coming over tonight to help me wire my darkroom. He has suggested using a lighted light switch for my view lights. that slight orange won't cause problems with black and white work will it? Thanks.

2. Donald Miller

Donald Miller Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    If the light switch is typical of those that I have experience with it should not present a problem unless you hold the film very near to it.

3. Ed Sukach

Ed Sukach Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Probably not.
    I have both a "switch strip" with 4 - 5 (?) outlets and a lighted switch; and the lights from both the control panel of the Omega D5500 and the ColorStar 3000 going all the time, and have had *no* problems.
    An idea - set an exposure meter to the highest possible film speed and slowest possible shutter speed or the largest possible aperture and see if you get a reading.
    I've analyzed "ambient" light (dark processing conditions) nothing but said indicator lights - with the ColorStar - reading to a maximum of 999 seconds, and get only an "overflow" (actually the reverse - an indication of "not enough light to get *any* reading), a blinking display.

4. Black Dog

Black Dog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You could try sticking some red tissue paper/cellophane over the light-that should stop any photons getting where they shouldn't be.

5. David Ruby

David Ruby Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks!