Lightmeter small enough for pocket?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Zane Yau, May 9, 2008.

1. Zane Yau

Zane Yau Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Can someone recommend a compact lightmeter which has a spot metering function?

I need it for landscape use so I prefer to have a spot meter

I have been borrowing my friend's Sekonic 558. It's good but it's a bit bulky and heavy...

I don't mind to get one which has minimum functions but with a spot meter as long as it's compact.

Many thanks for your help!

Zane

2. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    sekonic 408

3. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    If you can find a PocketSpot by Metered Light, it's supposed to be an excellent meter. That's probably the smallest spot meter.

4. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Weston Master IV. KICKIN IT OLD SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. dpurdy

dpurdy Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    My Pentax digital spot meter has spent a lot of it's life in one pocket or another.

6. Zane Yau

Zane Yau Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    thanks guys... i don't mind going old school... actually the simplier it is the easier to use

Is the Weston a spot meter? I didn't think so... did i miss anything?

7. Troy Hamon

Troy Hamon Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Sekonic 408 does everything for me indoors and out, and fits in lots of different pockets...been in most every pocket I have...

8. arigram

arigram Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The Sekonic Twinmate L-208 is small enough for any pocket.

9. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Sekonic 558 is not heavy...but IMO it is poor ergonomically, overkill with features, weakly built, and the digital readout is a less-than-ideal (less-than-intelligent?) design for those who use reflected meters for tonal placement. It is thoroughly representative of modern all-in-one whiz-bang electronics for the masses: jack of all trades, but master of none...and heaven forbid you should have to repair it. The all-in-one nature of it is a big draw, though. I would already own one if it wasn't for the poor build, lack of an analog dial, and overly complex and uncomfortable controls. If you really don't like the 558 for any of these reasons, get a Pentax Digital Spotmeter and you will be fine. It is the K-1000 of light meters. Simple, simple, simple, and durable, durable, durable. Mine is on its third life after a few events that would have killed a 558 for good. Basic, to the point, tough, and made for people who already know what they are doing; who need/want something that simply reads light, and leaves the rest to the user. It's the ideal reflected meter for field work, assuming you understand reflected metering techniques. It is the antithesis of the aforementioned whiz-bang gizmos. It is a sensibly designed specialty tool built to last, built to be serviceable, and designed to be used by someone who is already technically competent. All I want is one button that gives me an EV, and a scale to look at.

Take your pick. Both are good tools, but for different reasons. If these things that I dislike about the 558 are not a problem for you, and the only reasons you don't like the 558 are the size and weight, I would just deal with it. Get bigger pockets. :smile: They are not large and not heavy for what they are, and are not expensive considering that they take the place of three meters. Great idea, poor execution, IMO. Great studio meter, but I would be afraid of farting near it for fear it would break, so would never take it anywhere in my pocket or treat it the way I treat my "out and about" cameras. The way the equivalent exposures are displayed and cycled makes no sense to me for reflected use for tonal placement.

The Pentaxes are expensive, but are well built and easy/clear to operate, plus they are a current item that you can get brand new, so will be supportable for quite some time into the future. The only place I know that still actually sells them is Calumet. They are $500 plus tax. If you find a new one for less, it is an Internet scam for sure. I walked in and bought mine after finally giving up on rigging batteries for my Pentax 1/21.

If you can get a used one that is Zone VI modified for under $350, perhaps $400 for an extra clean one, I would say that is a better buy than getting a new one for $500. The modifications never made that much of a difference when I used my instructor's for a few months, but better to have them than not.

2F/2F

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2008
  10. Zane Yau

Zane Yau Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I don't think the 208 and 408 are spot...

2F/2F, thanks for your recommendation... I will look into Pentax. I love to be simple...the 558 is overkill for my purposes. I just need something which tells me how bright is the highlight/shadow in the field so that I can set the exposure and bracket accordingly...

11. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Look on the APUG classifieds. I would pounce on the $250 Zone VI modified one NOW, before I do. If you miss it, there are also a few others there for good prices.

12. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    nope!

13. Tamas

Tamas Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    did you guys know the once known Minolta light meters reemerged under as Kenko band....

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Troy Hamon

Troy Hamon Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The 408 has a spotmeter, but it doesn't have the super-narrow angle of the pentax spotmeter. More similar to the spotmeters that were showing up in some slr cameras before the digital era.

16. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not a spotmeter, but my favorite compact pocket meter anyway:

The Voigtlander VC Meter II
    • Meter angle approximately 30 degrees
    • Silicon Metering Cell
    • LED meter read out, center round green LED, red LEDs on both sides
    • ISO 25 to 3200 with 1/3 stop increments on the film speed dial

42.5mm W x 37mm L x 19.5mm H

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2008
  17. thuggins

thuggins Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Zeiss Ikophot. Beautiful, accurate and easy to use. You don't need a spot meter for landscapes.

18. Edwardv

Edwardv Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  19. paul ron

paul ron Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I know this meter is not a spot but it is the best built and pretty accurate. The plus side is it is so small it clips into a flash shoe as well as any shirt pocket....

The Leica MC light meter. They generally sell for @ $40 or so and are redily avalable. No batteries to contend with either.

20. df cardwell

df cardwell Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2008
  21. rmann

rmann Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Another vote for the Pocket Spot - tiny, and does everything the bigger ones do - they may even have a few new ones to sell soon.

22. Greg_E

Greg_E Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    How does a person order a pocket spot? I didn't really see an explaination of the order process. I did see where they suggest not using the email, that it is better to call or send a snail mail. But this looks like something that I might want to get if it isn't too expensive. Looks like it would go nicely with my Digisix incident meter (which is definitely pocket sized).

23. thebanana

thebanana Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    At Ari's suggestion i picked one of these up. With the shoe attachment it fits nicely on the top of my Fuji rangefinder. Remove it and it's small size and light weight make it ideal for carrying on a lanyard or in your pocket. All for less than $100 US.

24. Greg_E

Greg_E Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Looks like the PocketSpot sells for around $450.00USD so out of my range right now.

25. dancqu

dancqu Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Sekonic L-228 and L-318B

The L-228 is a compact Zoom meter which
    narrows to 8 degrees. Very accurate and of
    older some metallic construction. Fine leather
    case which fits a pant pocket easily. Now days
    takes zinc-air batteries.

The L-318B is more current. All digital and
    a more narrow metered view.

I've steered clear of the one degree spots.
    I believe narrow area meter averaging
    gives a truer reading. Dan

26. dpurdy

dpurdy Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format

That is a peculiar philosophy. A very small spot allows me to be very precise in my exposure calculations. The bigger the spot, the less precise. If you get more accurate averaging from bigger spots then it is because you are miscaculating your exposures. Not because a bigger spot is more accurate. No offense.
    Dennis