Linhof Angulon 90mm f/6.8 Lens, retaining ring size?

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Imke, Oct 1, 2006.

1. Imke

Imke Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi all,

I just bought an Angulon 90mm lens in a Compur shutter without retaining ring on ebay, does anybody here have one and know what size retaining ring I'll need (so I can buy it right away and skip THIS particular lesson in patience? :smile:)

Many thanks,
    Imke

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2006
  2. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    It's usually in a Compur 0 sized shutter, so that's the size of the ring, though I've heard of them coming in Compur 00 shutters. You might try mpex.com--ask for Jim--and see if they have one.

3. Imke

Imke Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks Dave!

Do you know the thread size by any chance?

4. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Not offhand, but I think there's a table somewhere on skgrimes.com that has it. In general, when the lens is in a relatively common shutter, you can look for the flange by shutter size (Compur 00, 0, 1; Ilex 3, 5; Copal 0, 1, 3, and various others) rather than the thread size.

5. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    It's here:

http://www.skgrimes.com/flanges/indexm.htm

Sometimes it's cheaper to buy a totally destroyed lens with retaining ring than just the ring. I've bought damaged lenses with good shutters, and damaged shutters with good lenses, and have managed to get good lenses in good shutters for ridiculously little money!

6. Richard Kelham

Richard Kelham Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    An Angulon 90mm should be in a Compur 0 so the mounting thread should be M32.5x0.5 should you have the opportunity to make one! Otherwise do as Ole suggests...

Richard

7. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The danger of that trick is that 1) you end up with a lot of useless glass; 2) you end up with a lot of irrepairable shutters, and 3) you risk learning just how many different shutter sizes there are.

Oh yes - I almost forgot: 4) you will discover that the number of mounting rings and flanges in the world is far smaller than the number of lenses.

8. Imke

Imke Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the info, gentlemen!

And Ole, thanks for suggesting I buy more half baked stuff than I already have, I really needed to hear that . :smile:

Imke