Liquid Emulsion Formula needed!

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by RalphLambrecht, Jan 4, 2010.

1. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry if this has been asked before. I'm not a frequent visitor to this area.

Does anyone have a formula for a reasonable liquid emulsion? I'm looking for something that can be applied to thick watercolor paper with a brush and has a reasonable contrast and speed for enlargements.

2. DarkroomDan

DarkroomDan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ralph,

You might try Denise Ross's site The Light Farm I have not read everything on the site and do not know if she has a formula for enlarging speed emulsion. We met at a carbon transfer workshop run by Vaughn Hutchins. I had a chance to see some really nice contact prints she made using her emulsions; both silver and gum over silver. She has scans on the site of some of the prints I saw. She also makes dry plates and made carbon transfer prints from one of them.

3. PeterB

PeterB Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi Ralph,
    In my cursory searching I haven't yet stumbled across a formula on APUG, however this search reveals some interesting APUG threads.
    regards
    Peter

4. RalphLambrecht

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dan and Peter

Many thanks for your suggestions. I'll investigate, but I'm starting to think, this is too complicated for me.

5. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have posted two formulas here on APUG. Sorry that I don't have exact references, but there is a slow speed and a high speed (contact and enlarging) version there. One similar formula is sold premade and ready to coat in 2 contrast grades by the Photographers Formulary.

So, with the references here, you can make your own, or buy a contact speed emulsion at the Formuary in 2 grades.

PE

6. RalphLambrecht

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    PE

Any idea on how I would find them? Keywords?

7. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "A Real Formula" was the title of one thread, and "Bruce Kahn" was a key word in another. The first is a fast emulsion and the second is an Azo type originated by my friend Bruce, who gave me permission to post it. That latter emulsion is used at RIT for teaching emulsion making. I have refined it considerably in the version the Formulary has.

PE

8. jeffreyg

jeffreyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If platinum/palladium emulsion is of interest, I have a suggestion but I'm not at home now. I could post it later if there is any interest.

9. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jeffrey;

I take it that emulsion refers to any Silver halide crystal in gelatin. Other preparations are, by the definition of the terms used, not emulsions. This is no criticism, but is meant to clarify for those who ask the question.

Pt/Pd are liquids mixed and spread on a support. They do not form an emulsion or dispersion AFAIK, and in fact, some formulations of Pt/Pd are not compatible with gelatin.

PE

10. RalphLambrecht

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Many thanks, but I am indeed interested in a silver-gelatin emulsion.

11. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  12. dwross

dwross Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I suspect you have all the brain power needed to make your own emulsions :smile:. Not complicated. Cooking up an emulsion is right there with baking a loaf of bread. I did both this morning, and I'm just about to make a sandwich with my bread and then go print on my paper. Really, it's that simple. An added boon in the last couple of years is all the recipe options publicly available. Invest in a few tools and materials, start with one recipe and work your way through a couple more. A little practice will banish any intimidated thoughts.

Make fun,
    d

13. Ray Rogers

Ray Rogers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    To what end?