Liquid Light and Lith

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by thebanana, Feb 8, 2010.

1. thebanana

thebanana Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I recently acquired some Bergger Cot 320 paper that I plan to coat with Liquid Light. Has anyone ever tried processing a combo like this using a Lith developer?

2. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bergger COT320 is a superb paper but varies IMHO with emulsion coated on it, and also with the typical B&W process. It is a cotton based product that can vary from batch to batch enough to suffer from lack of cohesion in the developer and fix, as well as bubble formation during coating resulting in small bubble defects in the coated material.

But, of course, this has varied over 3 batches, good, bad, fair so to speak.

I urge you to try it, but don't be discouraged. There are other batches and other good papers. Also, make sure that the weight is 100# or greater for best results in processing.

PE

3. gandolfi

gandolfi Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    I have never tried any liquid emulsion that wasn't destroyed in lith developer!
    I asked Moersch and I asked Tim Rudman, but they couldn't help me...

However, in the book "silver Gelatine" there's a "way out"...
    Apparently, if you develop normally - fix and rinse, then you can bleach the image and re develop in lith..

(havn't tried this my self)

4. thebanana

thebanana Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks. It'll be an experiment :smile:

5. paul_c5x4

paul_c5x4 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Just been doing a little bit of lith printing with a D85 mix. Had some SE1 emulsion (see here) coated on glass to hand - Initial comment: Yes, it does show some infectious tendencies, but no noticeable colour shift. Coated on a good quality paper base may change that.

If you have a selection of surfaces, it is probably worth experimenting with.