Liquid one shot film dev for jobo

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by mrtoml, Mar 29, 2008.

1. mrtoml

mrtoml Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have been using Ilford LC29 in a Jobo cpe2 processor. It is OK, but for some tested films I am getting very short times (less than 4 minutes) even with the rotation speed set low and dilution at 1+29. This doesn't leave much room for manoeuvre.

I was wondering of anyone else had any recommendations for a good, cheap all round liquid fine grain developer that might have longer times. Searching has turned up Paterson Aculux 3 and Fotospeed FD10 as possibles. Or maybe the new Ilfosol 3, but I can't find spec sheets for this yet.

Cheers.

2. Edwardv

Edwardv Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Have you consider Ilford ID 11 or Perceptol? I know they are powders and are pain to mix but the result are good. Ilford states, "you should decrease development by 15%"

3. mrtoml

mrtoml Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks.

Yes. I have tried ID11 and it worked fine on the films I tried, but I would rather use a liquid concentrate. I am thinking that I will go back to ID11 if I can't find a liquid developer that is suitable.

4. jeroldharter

jeroldharter Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I use Kodak TMAX RS developer with good results. I think with developers people sometimes get romantic about wanting an obscure developer that tans, stains, compensates, stands and does other tricks with mix your own chemicals only obtainable from a Chinese importer in the alley. But plain old Kodak works well.

Diluting TMAX RS 1:9 is very convenient, inexpensive, and gives manageable development times. My development times range from 4-16 minutes, although when I am trying to boost contrast I usually switch to a 1:4 dilution which shortens the development times a bit.

5. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you can mix your own developers from scratch; Try Jordan's Organic solution version of Instant Mytol. It works great.

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum223/33880-instant-mytol.html

6. 23mjm

23mjm Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Why not try DDX I have great results with the stuff. I think it is their T-Max style developer, but it has given great results on all films I have tried it on.

7. mrtoml

mrtoml Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for your replies.

I want something convenient that can be used at short notice so mixing my own is not really an option - I may as well just use ID11. That's why I like LC29. It is economical, easy to use and lasts a long time even after opening. It's just the development times that are bit short for some of my films in the Jobo.

Also I like DDX, but it is too expensive.

8. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    DDX like TMax, is another liquid concentrate PQ (Phenidone/Hydroquinone) developer - i.e., a liquid concentrate version of Ilford Microphen.

If you prefer the results you get with Ascorbic Acid based developers (like XTol, etc.) try the organic liquid concentrate version of Instant Mytol.

9. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Have you tried a more dilute solution of LC29? More dilute devs usually require a longer dev time...LC29 is great stuff, I think I'd find a way to make it work or, accept (rejoice in) the very short dev times.

10. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Mark. I have been highly impressed with DDX and its grain for what is a slight speed increasing developer as well as Perceptol which of course is speed reducing. In "The Rotary Processor Manual" John Tinsley mentions Perceptol and times.

If you want more info, just pm me

pentaxuser

11. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ILFORD DEVELOPER FACT SHEET for DDX, LC29, etc.

CHECK OUT http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/20073211236917.pdf

12. mrtoml

mrtoml Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have been thinking about this, but how dilute can one go? I can't find any information about diluting it more than 1+29. :confused:

13. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How dilute can you go with LC29?

I suspect that you could go to dilutions of 1+60 or 1+100 with LC29 but you would need to perform some development tests with controlled test negatives to confirm this. I would expect development agitation rate and type to be important variables.

Minimal agitation should permit the greatest developer dilution.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. nworth

nworth Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As I recall, Pyrocat-HD was pretty much designed for this sort of thing. It is also a very fine, well behaved, long lasting developer.

16. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Pyrocat-HD is available as an Organic Liquid Concentrate

Yes, it and Pyrocat-MC have become my developers of choice. Pyrocat-HD (and MC) are both available as Organic Liquid Concentrates.

17. mrtoml

mrtoml Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I don't want to use pyro either. I've tried it already. It interferes with the multigrade filtration and requires a whole new bunch of calibrations on my analyser. I'm trying to simplify things ;-)

So far it looks as if DDX and TMax are on the list of possibles. Doesn't anyone use FD10 or Aculux in a rotary system?

18. mrtoml

mrtoml Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for this. Is this book worth getting? I have not come across it before.

19. Mark_S

Mark_S Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Mark

I use a lot of HC-110 in my Jobo, usually at dil B, but sometimes more dilute. I mostly keep the concentrate in apothecary jars, and measure it with a syringe - the syrup keeps for a long time.

Development times at dil B can be a bit on the short side (~5 mins for HP-5), but greater dilutions work well too, just extending the time. I tend to keep processing times constant, and adjust contrast with concentration (I started doing this with BTZS tubes, and that allowed me to develop N-, N and N+ all at the same time.

20. Richard Harris

Richard Harris Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have found ddx good stuff in my Jobo but had great results from Jessops econotol It lasts very well as a concentrate too.

21. Mahler_one

Mahler_one Member

Ilford DDX 1:9.....I use with Tmax-both speeds, Delta 100, HP5.....convenient to use and measure, almost universally available at a reasonable price, no problems at all. I occasionally will use RolloPyro or Rollei Low Speed....but, as noted, for a standard reliable, easy to measure and store product, it's currently DDX in the Jobo drums, both expert drums and for roll film(s). Indeed, I used DDX for all of my film curves.

Ed

22. vet173

vet173 Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    One developer that I almost never here about here is Zonal Pros' Gamma plus. Used at a 1:20 dilution it's almost like using D-23. I was able to get negs with APX-100 that would impress anyone. I don't have times for a JOBO though.

23. mrtoml

mrtoml Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    DDX seems to get the most votes. I will have a think about this. I have used DDX and liked the results, but the price is high.

A 250ml bottle of LC29 costs about £6. To develop the equivalent number of films as this bottle in DDX costs £72.

24. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Mark. My 35mm Jobo tank on rotary processing needs 140ml per film. DDX comes in a 1 litre container that makes 5 litres at 1+4. So that 5000cc divided by 140 which is 35 films. DDX from Jessops is £12 so about 35p per film or less than 1p per frame for 36 frame films. I can't speak about LC29 cost but given the quality of DDX, a penny per frame doesn't seem bad.

pentaxuser

25. eumenius

eumenius Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I use mostly a self-mixed Pyrocat-HD and Rodinal for all my B&W needs - up to this day this combination serves me fine, and it's very economical in use.

Zhenya

26. argus

argus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mark,

what film format are you using? Results will vary in graininess considering the size of the film towards enlargements.

Kind regards,
    Geert