lith printing & toning workshop update

Discussion in 'Workshops & Lectures' started by tim rudman, Mar 7, 2007.

1. tim rudman

tim rudman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The Photographer's Formulary have alerted me that the lith workshop here:
    ( http://www.photoformulary.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabindex=4&tabid=26 )
    is already almost full (11 out of a max of 12), so they have suggested that they could run a second week if more wanted to come, rather than turn people away.
    This would be OK with me and it would be nice to meet some more Apuggers there too, so if anyone is interested, please let them know so that we can make changes to dates and flights as soon as possible.

many thanks
    Tim

2. Travis Nunn

Travis Nunn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Oh how I wish I could go to this. My money/time will be tied up on the vacation I'm taking around that time.

3. Keith Tapscott.

Keith Tapscott. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Do you do workshops in the UK?

4. Kevin Caulfield

Kevin Caulfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Tim, are there any plans for more Australian workshops? It must be about six years since you were here.

5. tim rudman

tim rudman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm happy to do so Keith, when I can. However, whereas I used to get asked to do more workshops here (UK and Spain) than the US, now it's the opposite. A number of the darkroom workshop centres have either closed or shifted emphasis to digital and/or field work, and I now get very few practical workshop requests here - which is OK in one way (although sad in another) as there is only so much time to go around and I don't do them for a living as such, but do I enjoy them and I enjoy encouraging the continuation of the craft.

I think the resurgence of darkroom interest in the US, after the digital migration, has not yet happened here to the same extent. Maybe it will in due course. Because of other commitments this year I have reduced my workshops quite a bit though and the PF ones are currently the only ones I am doing in the US this year.

I do accept some lecture requests when I can - for example there is a weekend event in Yorkshire this month and I am doing two lectures there. I'll post a thread about that too. I expect there are places available.
    There is a link here
    http://www.rps.org/events_details.php?ID=147

Tim

6. tim rudman

tim rudman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Not that I am aware of Kevin. I have been in 'OZ' twice now for a month each time - it's a great place, but rather expensive for organizers to fly Brits out to.
    Tim

7. Gay Larson

Gay Larson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I am one of the 11 signed up for the workshop at Photographers Formulary in Sept. and I can hardly wait. I am so excited. Can't wait to meet you Tim. I'm sure when I get back I'll probably want to trash all the lith prints I'm making now but I'm going to continue as I'm having so much fun in the darkroom these days with lith.

8. tim rudman

tim rudman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm sure we will have great fun Gay - and yes (re the other thread on toning) we will be doing toning for lith, duo-toning and bleach & lith redevelopment as well.
    Tim

9. terri

terri Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll be attending this one, as well. I'm looking forward to it so much!

Unlike Gay, I've not even dipped a toe into the waters of lith printing as of yet - though I have both of your lith books, Tim, and feel empowered by what I've read.

Which brings me to a (slightly off-topic, forgive me) question: in your experience as teacher and lecturer, does it behoove the new student to have a few lith prints already under their belts prior to taking a workshop? Or is there a slight edge to walking into the workshop having done none at all, with no "bad habits" to unlearn? I can see pros and cons of either approach, and wondered if you had any thoughts on that.

Thanks in advance, and see you in September!

10. tim rudman

tim rudman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes I have thoughts on this Terri.
    I doubt that it will matter that you haven't made a lith print before. The process runs on 'new rules' to those of conventional B&W printing. Sometimes people who don't have deeply ingrained routines adapt easier.
    It is not unusual that people come along having yet to make their first Lith print - you'll be making them by the end of day 1, no problem. By the end of the week you'll be in control, also toning, bleaching and probably 2 bath lith processing as well, if we get to that.
    I think I am right in recalling that the photographer whose image appears on the cover of my newest book had never made a lith print before that one. She made it at the same workshop you are coming to at The Formulary.
    Tim

11. terri

terri Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Tim - thanks for sharing that! The image you mentioned is one of my favorites from the book.

I appreciate your input here. Here's hoping we have time to touch on everything you just mentioned -it's all fascinating!

See you in September.

-Terri

12. Renato Tonelli

Renato Tonelli Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If a second workshop is added, I would like to attend. I cannot register for the first one because of scheduling conflicts (work!).
    Gordon Hutching's Pyro workshop is also another one of great interest to me but it too is being offered to early for me.

Regards

13. tim rudman

tim rudman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Second Lith printing workshop added :smile:. Also new techniques planned.

Some good news.
    Regarding my earlier post in this thread, the lith workshop at the Photographer's Formulary is now oversubscribed, so the folks at The Formulary have decided to open up the other week to a second lith printing workshop. They will also be contacting everyone who has booked, offering the chance to swap to the other week to get smaller numbers. This would also help to get everyone their own 'full time' enlarger without sharing - and make extra places and dates available for you.

The two workshops will be the same (apart from the dates, obviously) and I hope we will include something new this year - lith-amidol processing. Some of you may have seen an example of this in The World of Lith Printing book. I am waiting for supplies of the amidol devs that the Formulary have in stock, to run tests beforehand. I also plan to use Wolfgang Moersch's Polycrome - another 2-bath lith process - so it should be a lot of fun.
    Tim

14. tim rudman

tim rudman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    And the dates are ...

Sorry, I forgot to add the dates - they are Sept 2-7,2007 & Sept 9-14, 2007
    See you there
    Tim