Litho film

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by jaimeb82, Oct 12, 2011.

1. jaimeb82

jaimeb82 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Where can I buy litho film. I want to use it as support for carbon printing.

2. Whiteymorange

Whiteymorange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. jaimeb82

jaimeb82 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks!

4. Michael W

Michael W Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Someone told me that the Ultafine stuff is actually Xray film. Can anyone confirm or deny? Because if it is, you can just buy Xray film cheaper. I'm interested because I would like to buy some real lith film.

5. jaimeb82

jaimeb82 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    litho film is expensive, more than what I was expecting. Regarding Xray film? can someone confirm if the film needs to be Fixed before hand?

6. R Shaffer

R Shaffer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You would want to fix it prior to use. I have been using Yupo paper as a support for carbon tissue. It is a plastic paper and reusable.

7. gmikol

gmikol Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    AFAIK, Ultrafine's "High Contrast Ortho Litho Film" is "real litho film". I was going to mention the "Arista II" litho film from Freestyle, but it looks like they don't carry it anymore.

BTW--It's Ultrafine's "Continuous Tone Duplicating Film" that is xray film. Actually, it's xray duplicating film.

--Greg

8. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I too would recommend Yupo for carbon support. Fixing out silver in a film just for a support seems like a lot of unnecessary work and wasted expense.

A "book" of Yupo paper might last the rest of your life. You can reuse it over and over!

9. gmikol

gmikol Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'd also recommend Dura-Lar clear 0.005" film. Maybe not as durable as Yupo (but less expensive). 25 sheets of 11x14 = $12.50. I usually get 3 uses before a sheet gets too dinged up, but I'm also not very careful in handling them.

--Greg

10. jaimeb82

jaimeb82 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the tip Greg, I have a 4 or 5 pages of YUPO left and I need them for final support. have you printed any carbon lately?

11. Dan Dozer

Dan Dozer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Check with Jim Fitzgerald - he uses X-ray film quite a lot for his carbon printing.

12. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I use x-ray film for my tissue support and yes I do fix it out before hand. It is nice in that it is re usable and the 10x12 stuff is great for 8x10 negatives. Gives you extra room. I use it for my 11x14 and 8x20 also. For these sizes I use the 14x36 stuff. For my 14 x17 images I use some old RC paper from a 16" roll. Hope this helps.

BTW I tried the 16x20 lith film from Photo Warehouse and it is to thin from my 14x17 work. The film creases badly when making tissue and it is to thin to handle IMO.

13. jaimeb82

jaimeb82 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Jim, I am going to buy some 10x12 x Ray and start giving it a try with 8x10 negs. So far I have been playing around with 4x5 negatives only.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Let me know if I can help with any questions you may have.

16. Andrew O'Neill

Andrew O'Neill Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Use Yupo sheets or pads. The stuff lasts forever.

17. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Andrew what weight do you use? thanks.

18. Barry S

Barry S Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Jim--I've been using sheets of the 74 lb. Yupo for carbon support and it's been working well for me.

19. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Barry, thanks.

20. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    For smaller negs (up to 8x10), this is a cheap alternative:

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/172171/3M-Transparency-Film-For-Plain-Paper/

or similar products -- I have used the Office Depot brand...just happened to find a box so I gave it a go.

It is 8.5x11 -- it can work for 8x10 negs, but is a little on the small size. But I have used it with little or no problems for 8x10 negs -- but you don't have much wiggle room. Nice thickness -- similar to litho film. No preparation needed...use right out of the box. It can be reused a few times.

X-ray film does work well, but it is thicker, and I found that, as Jim mentioned, a little extra room is nice when using thicker support material. More care is needed when stripping off the x-ray film from the final support during developing due to its thickness. A longer soak in the hot water before removing it from the final support helps.

Vaughn

PS -- Jim, I have used litho film for 11x14 negatives (tissue size 12x15) with no problems...except finding 16x20 litho old enough to feel good about fixing it out...LOL!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2011
  21. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Vaughn, I've got a box of 16x20 Lith film but it is too thin. I cut it to 15x18 for the 14x17 negatives and it wrinkles and causes problems. I am using some old roll paper that is 16' wide but re-using my substrate is standard procedure for me. I love the x-ray film because it hols up a long, long time and is cheap. I guess I'll take a piece of x-ray film to Dick Blick's to compare to the Yupo. I only need it for the 14x17 negatives. Makes a huge difference using a stiffer tissue when transferring a large image.

22. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Jim -- 14x17 negatives...you're the man!

I believe Yupo comes in a couple different weights. I am using some 14x17 x-ray film for tissue support. It does save time to be able to pour big tissues and cut them down as needed. I pour three 14x17 tissues at a time and that uses up an entire batch of glop (about 280ml per tissue). Each tissue then gives me four tissues for 5x7 negs, or six tissues for 4x5 negs. Not quite big enough for two 8x10 negs (but good for one 8x10 and a couple smaller ones.)

I'll be pouring tissues tonight!

Vaughn

PS -- one thing about x-ray film...it fixes out quickly!

23. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Doesn't Yupo shrink and distort when heated? Might be fun to make things with, 3-D images and such.

24. Barry S

Barry S Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I bought an 11x14 pad of the 74 lb. Yupo and found out about the heavyweight version after I made some tissues. I followed up with a little research and found this thread on the carbon forum. Maybe not definitive, but I think it confirms the general preference for the lightweight versions.

Yupo (opaque white) is available in 50 and 57 lb. text papers, and 58, 74, 86, 100, and 144 lb cover papers.

25. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Vaughn, yes the x-ray film fixes real quick! I love it. I'm not yet happy with any of my 14x17 work yet.... but I'm very picky. Got some big negs from my recent trip to Yosemite to print soon. Poured two batches over the last couple of days for a student who is coming over for the weekend.

26. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I am doing a workshop outside of Sacramento weekend after next (for a community college), so pouring some for that and for myself. Three batches with a variety of pigment concentrations...so I still need to fix out 9 sheets of 14x17 x-ray. In between I'll make a few platinum/palladium prints...made a great set of the Boys my last platinum session! (images taken on x-ray film, developed at the hospital).

I am finding that 11x14 is a lot of territory to cover. Makes my 8x10 seem like such a small and simple beast to use! I'll leave the 14x17 to you real men! LOL!