Litmann

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Rubin, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Rubin

Rubin Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I need some infos about Litmann 4x5 cameras. Would you please help me posting your impressions? Is it possible to have some picture of the camera itself? Here in Europe is impossible to find and to have a close encounter, so I would like to have as much informations (words and images) as possible.
    Merci
    Rubin

2. rbarker

rbarker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have no personal experience with the Littmann conversions, Rubin, but I recall seeing considerable discussion on some of the photo forums. If you search on "Littmann 45" you may find more info.

3. Rubin

Rubin Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thank you Ralph, I already did it but the threads were written some months ago then some members of our forum own a Litmann since quite a long time and I would be very pleased if they want to share their impressions after having used this camera for more than a couple of months... and I would appreciate also comment about the feeling of handling it, is it light? Do you feel is well built? And so on.
    Thank you
    Rubin

4. blansky

blansky Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Their web site is www.littman45single.com

I have had one for about a year but have not used it as much as I would like. It is a very well made conversion of a polaroid camera that allows you to use a handheld 4x5 as a rangefinder.

It is fairly light and well built and relatively easy to focus like a smaller rangefinder. They come with a couple of lens options like a 127 and a 150. I have the 150. You cannot change lenses. You can also order the ground glass option and use it like an ordinary 4x5.

I use it with grafmatic backs that allow 6 shots, so what you have is a 6 shot 4x5 portable camera that is easy and fun to use.

It is quite expensive $2500 - 3500 rannge depending on what you order.

It has it detractors who don't like the designer or the price. There are many who say it is better to have a portable linhof or a press camera with interchangeable lenses, but there is really nothing like it on the market and if you can afford it, its a great camera.

I will add that William Littman is a nice man and cares about his customers and will take all the time you need to discuss the camera with you if you contact him. His detractors may disagree but so be it.

There is a new version coming out as well.

Michael

5. Rubin

Rubin Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thank you Michael,
    Thank you very much, but does it look like an old camera or the bellow is clean, the plastic of the rangefinder is clean or repainted or whatever...
    You know it is quite expensive and the 110b are very old cameras and I am wondering what about the aestethic of the object.
    Rubin

6. blansky

blansky Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Actually, you get a lot of people telling you that they had one of those. They wonder what you are doing with and old camera like that. But with any 4x5 you kind of get that reaction.

Granted it is definitely retro but so damn cool and functional. If you're wondering what people may think of you maybe you should shoot a concealed leica. Just kidding.

It is not a fragile camera. If you can afford one and like it, you wouldn't be disappointed. I think they are rentable in NY city if that helps.

Michael

7. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Rubin are you in France? Next spring (2006) a bunch of us apuggers are going to do what is called OBT (Old Broads Tour). Our first tour takes us to France. I will have a Littman with me. I will gladly let you try it out so you can see up close and personal the camera in your own hands.

8. Rubin

Rubin Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Good! Yes, I live in France, I am a new member of the forum so I am happy to have the opportunity to meet people from Apug!Anyway I can't wait until next spring (wait Spring, Bandini...) to decide about Litmann but your words sound encouraging. Michael I was curious to know what kind of "look" has this camera since a saw bunch of bad conversions that looked poor and cheap and worked poor and cheap... I saw his website and they look great! I see he also crops the original back, but it looks much better than the other conversions, where he cut he put something to make it look nicer and safer, in the pictures looks like black rubber or something, while other conversions just leave a sort of open wound.
    Rubin

9. Trent Westin

Trent Westin Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hi Rubin,
    Me too I would like to know something about Littmans.
    I have a 110a conversion. Not Littman's.
    Bonjour
    Trent

10. Trent Westin

Trent Westin Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Wow Nathan!
    I remember a big discussion between Apug members and this Australian guy!
    It is better not to start again...

11. Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Er, yeah. I just found one of those threads. Forget I asked ...

Nathan

12. blansky

blansky Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The history is the Australian and Mr Littman have an ongoing feued about the conversions because the Aussie was selling his on the internet claiming they are the same as the Littman but an a small cost. That is my understanding of the events and that all I know about it.

The Littman has a parallax rangefinder system that nobody else has. That is one reason it is a lot more money. The Littman is very well made and not rigged together like others out there. This sort of attention to detail costs money. Hence the price.

If you want a toy to play around with buy the cheap conversion and have fun. If you want something more serious with focusing abilities and well made camera cough up the bucks and it's yours.

I have no horse in this race so enjoy which ever choice you make.

Michael

13. carsten

carsten Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hi Rubin.
    you can find a lot of information about Littman cameras on the web. And there are also some pictures and you can make up your mind. Everything in the 110b is lube, cleaned, replaced etc. When you hold it you have the feeling it is a brand new camera.
    Carsten

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Rubin

Rubin Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thank you everybody!
    Aggie, I followed your tribolation through various threads and I would like to ask you if you received the Littman already and, in this case, if it possible to have your impressions...
    I do not know if I can ask such personal questions, but I am new and I have no shame...
    Merci a tous
    Rubin

16. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was contacted by Mr. Littman a week before I was to have surgery. He offered to send me an alternate camera to use while He finished up the camera he is making for me. Since I had the operation coming up and would be off my feet for a couple of weeks afterwards, I said I could wait until he had mine finished. He has gone out of his way to communicate with me all along the way.

I have had the opportunity to go up to the land of the California grape and check out personally Michael (blansky's) Littman. It felt really good in my hands. It was easy to focus, and lightweight for that kind of camera. I was very impressed. I plain our right wanted one. Alas I saw what I thought was a good opportunity to get a similar camera, albeit without the paralax conversion of the view finder, at what seemed a resonable price. As they say, You get what you pay for. You go for cheap, you get cheap.

I will in the future have more to say about the Littman once I get it. I assured Mr. Littman it would be about Mid May before I would be taking it out to try it. He has many others ahead of me, that should get theirs first, where I should get no special treatment.

17. Rubin

Rubin Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thank you Aggie. Merci beaucoup.
    Very useful answer.

18. Trent Westin

Trent Westin Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I just handled a Littman just for some minutes. It is light and precise and very well made, so nothing new under the sun, it is what is written everywhere. The camera had the 127 rodenstock ysarex lens, the standard one, I know the lens and it is good, but a little too "wide angle" for me. But I am used too it.
    The bellow and the leather parts are very clean and looked like new and so the plastic parts, I think repainted and reshaped on the right corner where the original body has been cut. A very good work.

19. Rubin

Rubin Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hey Trent,
    Thanks.
    Was that Litmann in Europe? In a shop?

20. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format

WOW! Aggie, I'm glad you clairfied this. I remember your very un-happy thread about this "knock-off" camera and all this time, I incorrectly assumed it was Littman you were...uhm..."not so happy" with. Thanks!

21. Trent Westin

Trent Westin Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hi Rubin, I know I am late...
    I answer: no, not in a shop, was a friend of a friend who showed me.
    I think it is not possible to buy it in a shop.

22. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    In New York Photo Gizzmo and Lens and Repro have had Littmans on the shelf.

23. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I got the Littman a couple of days ago. I had it at the get together lst night at galyons (Geary) house. That is one sweet camera. I intend to give a big workout today. Will post in the next few days my results.

24. k_jupiter

k_jupiter Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wow! I just had a bowl of that Merci Beaucoup last night. If ya don't overcook the truffles, it's a really nice meal in one pot.

As for the rest of this discussion, it's making me want to go get the Kalart Press/ flash project back on line. This is the issue where the Rapax X sync shutter didn't seem to fire the flash 'in sync' or something as there was nowhere near enough light for my Classic200 to come up with a usable negative using a Sunpak flash on it.

The connection? Lightweight, fast, easy to use, LF rangefinder camera (even if it is 3x4).

Someday Aggie, we'll meet and compare lightweight rangefinders.

tim in san jose

25. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll be down your way on June 3rd.

26. k_jupiter

k_jupiter Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll be in Tahoe that weekend watching my little sister do the Tahoe Century. With some camera I suspect. There will be other times.

tim in san jose