Living with Old Glass

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by daleeman, Jan 13, 2011.

1. daleeman

daleeman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just processed some 6x6 and 645 from the Hassy shot this last week while exploring new areas in the deep of winter. I have to admit I was sad at the results. I believe a CLA will be needed on my “new to me” 50mm because I can see that as the trudging through the snow went on and on, the camera got colder and colder and the lube inside the lens did too. Exposures were not what I metered, set or shot.

So, barring any funds jumping out of the ground and into my wallet to do a CLA on the lens I may have to hold off shooting that lens in cold weather. Pains me to wait but I do have other options.

Just to see how my other lenses do in the deep freeze I plan to put my camera kit outside like a bad dog and after a while when it is sufficiently cold; shoot a few frames with each lens to see if they all are sluggish in the cold. Living with old glass has been easy in the summer and transition seasons but winter is a bear.

Anyone have any great keep your old lens warm enough to shoot in near 0 degrees F stories to share?

Lee

2. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Lee,

Perhaps you could adapt a soft cooler as your camera bag, and put some heat pads in there, or keep it under your jacket. I know that historically people who use mechanical cameras in extreme cold had no lubrication, or special cold-weather lubes.

Good luck, I can relate; last night it was -2°F!

3. daleeman

daleeman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Soft cooler idea and heat packs is a good idea. Guess I will have to chug the beers to get them out of the way

4. jacarape

jacarape Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    What a bummer, I read the title wrong.

5. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Now you're thinking!

6. Jeff Bannow

Jeff Bannow Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    This issue indicates other problems with the lens - I would suggest a CLA. Old / improper lube in a lens will definitely cause long term issues.

7. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Lee,

What is that address in Dayton again? I have two old Labradors here who know you and think there is nothing bad about being put outside. They thought they might pop over and pick up any left outside lenses to retrieve and gum up a bit.

There is another problem with suddenly taking a lens from a warm storage area to a cold shooting environment. The glass fogs up.

John Powers

8. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It does not.
    It might do so when you put a cold lens into a warm storage area. But not the other way round.

Old grease will make itself known in the cold.
    The lens may work well when warm enough, but if it slows down in the cold, it's telling you it needs to be cleaned and relubed.

Mind you: make it cold enough and even fresh grease will go thick and sticky, and then you need dry lubrication, or even have all lubrication removed (for the duration).

9. daleeman

daleeman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    John, we could play fetch with the 50mm. Bet they could gum it up big time.
    No that is not a soft focus lens, that is a slober filter.

I was spared the lens fog problem this last weekend when Sue and I was out scouting for the Frozen Film Shoot. Just had the fortunate chance to learn how the one lens worked in the very cold. We did bag the camera when returning to the car to keep it from fogging as it warmed.

Keep them dogs well fed with Lens-Chow.:munch:

Lee

10. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Siriusly!:D