Lizard in June

Discussion in 'UK All Regions' started by perkeleellinen, May 21, 2013.

1. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello All,

We're camping at the Lizard in June. It'll rain every day, I know it. But just in case the Gods are in a good mood....

Here's a map showing the sun rise / set positions:

[​IMG]

Is anyone familiar with the west coast of the Lizard? It seems that the sun will be low over the sea and from a good position I may be able to get a sort of golden cliffs photo. Also interesting rocks out at sea may make nice silhouettes. Where's good along that coast line?

I'll be there for mid summer so a sun rise that morning would be great. I think it might be possible to get an angle out to sea from down near Ruan Minor. Anyone been there?

Thanks,
    Steve.

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2013
  2. pdeeh

pdeeh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There's almost nowhere that isn't good !

However the areas North and South of Kynance Cove are particularly splendid.

One thing to bear in mind is that the zawns and valleys are very steep sided, and rapidly fall into shadow once the sun starts to dip.

The coast at Ruan is also splendid, but I don't have any particular recommendations.

The Cornish coast as a whole is "very fractal" - this has the effect of making small changes of position have a large effect on the views

I envy you your trip. It should still be pretty quiet in June, and I hope the weather is good for you. The Lizard is a wonder of a place.

3. Jim Taylor

Jim Taylor Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree with all of the above. My favourites are: -

Mullion Cove and Harbour.
    The church on the beach at Church Cove.
    The disused and derelict quarry/quay at Porthkerris.
    The old lifeboat station at Lizard Point.

I tend to develop a bit of a sunrise/set fetish when I'm camping down there! The number of this type of shot I have from Land's End - Penzance - Ruan Minor is countless!

Mullion is particularly nice if the weather is bad - you can get quite close to the cliffs with some very 'bashy' seas.

It's just a beautiful area of the world! Very envious! Enjoy!

4. Martin Aislabie

Martin Aislabie Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I agree with all the above and add

Porthlevel + coastal path - both North and South
    The costal path south of Mullion Cove
    Coverack
    The Helford River and all its tidal inlets

Your problem assuming the weather gods are smilling is not what to shoot but what to leave out - its a great place to be

Have fun

Martin

5. paul_c5x4

paul_c5x4 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Rain will keep most of the tourists away, strong winds will produce plenty of dramatic surf & breaking waves. Clearing storms in the afternoon will give you scope for lots of shots. If you're heading down there at the end of June, you'll also get a full moon on the 23rd so you can try your hand at night time shots.

Me, I'm heading up to the Lake District in two weeks time in the vain hope that it doesn't rain.

6. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I hope you have a beautiful time and beautiful weather. But while you are there the following is one of the best places to eat: -

http://www.halzephron-inn.co.uk/

7. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for all the great tips.

The Inn looks great and I'm happy we'll be there for the full moon. I agree with Martin that the issue is what to leave out, I prefer to focus on a few areas of interest rather than a scatter gun approach - there's always next year. We're lucky that our boy isn't in school yet so we can get away outside of school holidays. This is really a family trip not a photo trip but my wife likes these areas and she's fond of the idea of a picnic on the cliffs as the sun goes down (let's hope she can set up next to my tripod!).

Are there any Neolithic remains close by?

8. pdeeh

pdeeh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Lizard isn't particularly rich in obviously Neolithic stuff, but head into West Penwith and you'll trip over dozens of site ... Men-an-Tol, Lanyon Quoit, the Merry Maidens, Nine Maidens, Chun Castle to name but a few.

9. Steve Roberts

Steve Roberts Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Suggest you Google Trewavas Head for some spectacular clifftop mining remains. If you like that kind of thing, be sure to visit Botallack/Pendeen near St Just (where I enjoyed a very sunny day last weekend!)
    Steve

10. Jim Taylor

Jim Taylor Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll second that! Gunwalloe is quite pretty too... maybe beer goggles though :wink:

All these plans of travel make me very envious when I'm stuck inside the lab/office all day!!

11. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    For goodness sake, take "survival gear" especially thermal blankets as given the current temperature and the weather forecast we may be in for the coldest June on record

pentaxuser (writing this in pencil as the ink in the pen has frozen and now expecting a three-dog-night as the Alaskans say :D)

12. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Whitsun used to be a fairly good guarantee of warmth if not sun...

Back in the late '70s and for ten years we took our annual family holiday to Cornwall, always staying in Newquay at the Cotswold Hotel. My parents and grandparents had got into the habit in the late '60s (4 adults and luggage in a Mini overnight from the Midlands!). We always had sun or so my memory goes. Last few times I've been down it's been appalling. Last year we had to buy jumpers in August.

13. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    We live in a strange climate. In 2008 in the second week in May we were eating outside in Cornwall at 7:30pm in short sleeves. Today in the South Midlands it was 7 degrees centigrade in the middle of the afternoon!!! There were days in January that matched this temperature

I am sure it will pick up for you but I'd certainly take a water and wind proof anorak. There is nothing worse than being soaked through and cold even if you have the best landscape in the world in front of you

pentaxuser

14. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    We will take our winter stuff, changing clothes is easy, changing film not so. I invariably have 100ASA film loaded on the darkest, most overcast days.

15. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well, the Gods were smiling and we had some great sunny days. Rain was mostly over two (very) stormy nights. We visited a lot of places: Mullion, Kynance and Church cove (both of them), Lizard point and a couple of little places around Penzance. The biggest problem was the wind, it was very strong and I really didn't feel very safe on the cliff edges, very blustery and sudden gusts. It was worse at Mullion where I didn't even try a cliff-top shot of the harbour. We drove past the Halzephron on the way to Church Cove and I thought I recognise that name from somewhere - only when I came back to this thread did I remember why! The best light was at Church Cove too. I shot 4 rolls of film.

16. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    You should of eaten there, as you missed a great gourmet experience.

17. Jim Taylor

Jim Taylor Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Steve,

Sounds like you've experienced Cornwall at it's finest! I find that extreme weather more than "just OK" weather really lends something a bit special to the scenery down there. Then again, I do have a penchant for the dramatic!

Would be great to see some of your work when you've finished processing and tinkering!

Totally agree with cliveh too - you missed a cracker at the Halzephron!

18. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    There's always next time for the Halzephron - we drove past at 8am on the way to Church Cove on a Sunday so it wasn't open. But we had fantastic light at Church Cove that made the crashing waves glow and behind them dark brooding clouds. Apart from one guy fishing on the beach we had the place to ourselves.

19. pdeeh

pdeeh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    the church in the dunes is rather photogenic. there's a particularly curious statue near the eastern side of the churchyard