Lloyd bulk loader felt replacement?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by pstake, Sep 19, 2012.

1. pstake

pstake Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I inherited a Lloyed loader in a box of film gear and was going to use it. Before I put a bulk roll in, however, I did a little test with a flashlight, shining it through the felt light trap from the outside and some of it came through the felt to the inside.

Not too familiar with these loaders so I'm wondering if it's common practice to replace the felt?

2. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I never have, but I use mine lightly. But a brand new one is only $25.

3. flatulent1

flatulent1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's about the reaction I would expect. If light wouldn't pass through the felt, how would you expect film to? No, I have never heard of anyone replacing the felt, indeed I don't know of any source of the stuff. As Roger points out, a new one is just $25.

4. pstake

pstake Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This comment seems to suggest that it's silly to think that there's anything wrong with light passing through the felt. Does that mean I need not worry? That my film shouldn't be affected, fogged?

I don't see light passing through unless I directly shine one, and then only at an exact angle.

I appreciate your observation about the film passing through. Very clever.

And that new ones are available for just $25, I clearly apprehend. Thanks for that info, Roger but I have a new Watson loader available, which I'll use before I will buy a new one. I just prefer the Lloyd, and since I have one ...

5. lensman_nh

lensman_nh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Using a flashlight is a very, very touch test to pass. When a precision straight-edge is placed on a surface is as little as 0.001" out of flat with a bright light behind it the gap will appear to be huge.

First thing to mention is you won't be loading film outside in bright sunlight. Secondly the felt will have film stuffed through it. Take a piece of unexposed film and put it in the felt jaws. I would wager you will not see any light pass.

It's your call at the end of the day. Words cannot accurately describe the situation.

6. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Felt or velvet ribbon for a couple of $$ at the local fabric store would do the deed.
    Many old cameras used velvet as light seals.

Iffn ya want a hunk of velvet, PM your address & I'll send a hunk. Contact cement is the appropriate sticky onny stuff.

7. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You could rip some out from a few 35mm cassettes as well. Just pop off both ends, and fold flat, and scrape off the felt with a razor carefully. It should lift off as one piece, abit a small piece, but put a few together and it might work.

I personally stick to loaders that dont have felt, like the alden.

8. pstake

pstake Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the offer but I think I have some around here somewhere. And some rubber cement for patching bike tubes. Thanks for the advice!

9. flatulent1

flatulent1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format

I think you need not worry. Folks have been using these things for years, light passing through the felt fogging the film isn't a problem I've ever encountered. Just the usual caveat about loading in subdued, not direct, light. Average room light should be just fine, as long as you're not sitting directly under a 100w lamp.

The only complaint of the Lloyd Lloaders that I've ever heard was of grit getting in the felt and scratching your film. If you keep it clean there shouldn't be a problem. (Why do I suddenly get the feeling I'm addressing a Jr High health class?)

10. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Never had a light leak or scratch from the felt. The Lloyd wastes less film leader than the others and is stone simple. OTOH, the ones with frame counters are probably more accurate, especially if you load a number of frames other than what's listed on the table on the Lloyd.

I've not checked mine with a flashlight, and can't without removing the film since it has a partially loaded roll of Arista Premium 400 (aka Tri-X) in it now. But it hasn't been a problem.

11. frobozz

frobozz Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've "rebuilt" a few of these with mashed down felt by peeling up one side of the felt on one side and then sticking it back down again a tiny bit closer to the light trap, which effectively puffs it up a bit closer to the one on the other side, and makes a more light tight seal.

The felt you can buy at most craft stores is not real wool felt, and it's not very light-tight. I found some usable 100% real wool felt online to repair one that was completely torn up at the outside edge, from someone carelessly jamming film into it over the years.

Sure, brand new ones are cheap, but I hate to throw away something that's perfectly usable other than a little bit of felt!

Duncan

12. pstake

pstake Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

When I got this Lloyd, it was loaded. The tape on the outside was marked "Tri-X, exp. 11-1963"

I loaded a couple cartridges from it and ran them through, exposing at 80 iso ... and they came out, believe it or not ... but there was a uniform pattern of fogging basically across the lower half of each roll. I'm thinking the bulk loader might have been the culprit. Might just have been old film. Hard to say.

For now, I have loaded my brand new Tri-X into the Watson for use, and I'm going to patch up the Lloyd sometime during the next few weeks. I'll try to post before and after photos that are useful to folks who stumble onto this thread in the future.

Cheers, everyone.