Loading 8x10 in the field

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by bmac, Jun 30, 2003.

1. bmac

bmac Member

I finally got a light tight 8x10 holder, and loaded up a couple of sheets for the maiden shot with my 8x10. I quickly realized that my changing bag, which is fine for 4x5 and roll film is WAY too small for 8x10. Is there anything for the budget minded LF shooter out there? I'd hate to spend as much on a changing tent as I have on my camera. LOL.

Brian

2. juan

juan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You could do it the Weston way. Get a 1941 Ford sedan and have an attractive, young, female assistant pull a tarp over the car while you sit inside changing film.
    juan

3. bmac

bmac Member

Hmm, I've got a 31 Ford.. this might work, better talk to the wife!

4. LFGuy

LFGuy Member

I'd have to measure my changing bag, but it's not too big. It's kind of cramped to say the least, but it's big enough to hold a box of film and two or three 8x10 film holders. It just takes a little more effort, and it's only a matter of managing your limited space better. There's also plenty of room for the film holders and a film developing drum.

Still, it packs up pretty small, and I've used it in the field (both at camps and the middle of nowhere) without a problem.

5. RAP

RAP Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Would it be possible to make some kind of tent out of your changing bag? Perhaps take some card board about 4 to 6 inches wide around three sides of the inside of the bag to increase the space. Or try to raise up, prop, pin up the center of the bag, from the outside somehow to increase your work space.

6. bmac

bmac Member

Its really a question of working space. My bad will fit one holder and one box of 8x10 in it, but not much else. Not a lot of room to work with.

7. Loose Gravel

Loose Gravel Member

8. David Hall

David Hall Member

A Harrison changing tent. They are light, pack very small but open very roomy, and are remarkably dustfree. One of the problems I have had with bags is that in humid weather they become dustbins.

dgh

9. LFGuy

LFGuy Member

Probably not what you're looking for, but you may want to look for a new bag or pack that can hold more film holders (I can always use more holders).

Changing film holders in the field takes time, which I sometimes don't have due to changing light conditions, etc.