Local LAB can't mount 35mm slides anymore

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by snaggs, Oct 31, 2012.

1. snaggs

snaggs Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    They can no-longer get the magazines for their machine. What are my options? Are there slide mounters for amateurs which are fast? Or should I find a lab in Sydney or Melbourne that can still do it? (pleased for any suggestions).

Daniel.

2. ME Super

ME Super Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  3. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I always did it manually, never felt the need for using a machine. Slide mounts are available readily at pretty much ever well-stocked photo-equipment store, maybe not offline, but online for sure.

4. jeffreyg

jeffreyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Once upon a time Polaroid had an instant slide film and an illuminated slide mounter as well as snap-together plastic slide mounts. The film wasn't so great but the gadget was simple and worked well. It was manual. Other companies also had mounts and they must still be available. If you are able to get the mounts, determine the length to cut the frames and be careful not to scratch the film when handling it.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

5. BMbikerider

BMbikerider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    There is a company called Ge-Pe that makes slide mounts of all sizes, with and without glass. I know they have a slide cutter so you can mount them yourself. Try googling Ge-pe or E mail a company in UK called www.firstcallphotographic.co.uk. They do a lot of Ge-Pe stuff and I am sure they have a cutter listed in their catalogue.

6. MartinP

MartinP Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have mounted a lot of 35mm slides manually as this was a service in a lab where I worked - fortunately most rolls were unmounted. Anyway, we would cut them with (sharp) scissors over a light-box, making say a dozen individual transparencies on the box, then give the glass mounts a sharp tap on the workbench to dislodge any fluff before sliding in the edge of the film and closing the slide. Note that each frame has eight perforations and the end of the frame should be between the perforations - if the camera is mis-adjusted then you will see it somewhere along the roll and so can still decide where to cut on any very dark frames. We always used GePe mounts as, at the time, they were the best available, for ease of mounting and reliable projection.

It is a good idea to do everything you can to avoid creating static-electricity around the area of work, and you might also want to use one nitrile glove if you have sticky fingers. The whole process is quick and straightforward if you are organised.

7. pbromaghin

pbromaghin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In a little over 6 hours after a casual enquiry you got 3 links to places to get magazines. I would say these people won't, not can't do it.

8. snaggs

snaggs Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    No, they need bulk-loaded magazines for some $20k machine they have for mounting slides.

Im not very dextrous with small things and time poor. Hand doing them one by one will be slow.

9. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Forget about mounting slides and just slip them into archival sleeves. Or if projection is your thing and mounting is a must, sniff out some Gepe antinewton glass mounts on FleaBay. Most people only use trannies now for printing because the palette is considerably more enriched and enlivened as opposed to negative emulsions.

10. DREW WILEY

DREW WILEY Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Mounting slides is easy. There were plastic clip-together mounts like Gepe and Wess (?). Then Gepe also offered anti-Newton glass mounts, which would be more work. Standard mounts were cardboard
    clamshells which you simply dropped the film in and sealed along the edge with an iron. Took just
    a few seconds apiece. If you didn't want to use scissors, there were inexpensive little plastic slitters
    you could feed film thru an easily shear it. Probably this kind of gear is still around, if not still mfg new. Labs around here still routinely mount slides, so must still have a source for the supplies. But
    you don't need any kind of fancy automated gear like they use. Mounting a slide is far easier than
    making a sandwich for lunch.

11. hairydale

hairydale Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Correct on both points.

Earlier this year the lab I worked at had to replace their existing mounter as supplies of mounts to fit it had ended. It used two part mounts which relied on very precise fit to give a good seal and the tools used in making them wear out and need regular replacement or you lose that precision. That was just too expensive and no longer made economic sense for them to continue making them so we had to switch to GePe which aren't as nice but come ready assembled and don't need such accurate moulding.

As for mounting by hand, ok if it's just the odd film but any quantity ...... :blink:

12. Stephen Frizza

Stephen Frizza Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    In sydney both myself (The Lighthouse lab) and Vision Image Lab have stopped doing it. Vision Image lab stopped because their machine broke and it cant be repaired. I stopped because I was tired of mounting. I can mount but I wont mount, I feel people need to learn the art of the edit.

13. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've always preferred to mount my own slides, I always only mount the "keepers" and bin the rest, I try to be selective I've been shooting slides for more than fifty years, photography is essentially a selective medium, and I don't want to have a houseful of crap slides.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2012