LocationsinSouth America...

Discussion in 'Geographic Location' started by mnender, Dec 17, 2003.

1. mnender

mnender Member

Greetings everyone,

My name is Mark and I am from Melbourne, Australia. I am currently thinking/planning for a trip to South America. I was wondering if any members who read this forum can help out with some suggestions of good photographic locations. Never having been to the continent and mostly ignorant of its geography and history, any information which I can't squeeze out of my Lonely Planet guide book is certainly most appreciated

Thank you in advance for all suggestions.

-Mark.

2. Jorge Oliveira

Jorge Oliveira Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Mark

I live in this continent, but just know a bit of it.
    What kind of photos are you looking for ?

Jorge O

3. johnnywalker

johnnywalker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, Machu Pichu in Peru is a don't miss. then take the train from Cuzco to Puno (on lake Titicaca on the Bolivian border - floating village there). Then go to Arequipa (beautiful city, wish I could live there), then Ica (the Nazca lines), then back up to Lima.
    Get as high in the Andes as you can stand, but watch for altitude sickness (seroche?). The meadows and mountains, Llamas, villages are beautiful, and the light amazing. Go out in the small villages at night, listen to the traditional music and watch the dancing. Eat the food, don't ask what it is. Don't drink too much of the local moonshine.
    How much time do you have? Whatever it is, it's not enough! If you have more time & $, go to Iquitos on the Amazon, and/or Pucallpa. Take a trip on the river, watch out for crocs and snakes (oh I almost forgot, Australia has most of the poisonous ones anyway)!
    Try and learn a few words of Spanish before you go. BaƱo and cerveza are the two most important.
    Wherever you decide to go, you will love it.

4. johnnywalker

johnnywalker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    p.s. wherever you are, go to the local markets. If there are any local festivals, don't miss them.

5. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

6. Ed Sukach

Ed Sukach Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The mind BOGGLES!!!! Boy ... I'm going to have to live with that image in mind all day ...!!!! :blink:

7. jbj

jbj Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Like Johnnywalker said. A beautiful country with many warm and friendly people.

I did the same route except in the opposite direction: Lima, Pisco, Ica, Nazca, Arequipa (colca canyon which i didn't see but i hear is good...and condors too), Puno, Lago Titicaca, Cusco (sacred valley and machu pichu), Lima. Three weeks. Lots of film. Amazing!

My experiences were more enjoyable the farther from the beaten path I went. Big cities like cusco, arequipa and lima are nice but the true colors and richness of the country were found in the places where the number of people speaking english was low, and spanish, quechua and other dialects were the standard. Of course getting off the beaten path can be done in the largest cities too.

When I go back I want to go to the north in the jungles and into columbia and ecuador.

8. johnnywalker

johnnywalker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There are a couple of "in" jokes re Arequipa and Lake Titicaca. The Arequipians insist everyone needs a passport to visit (even other Peruvians) because everyone wants to go there - understandably. They call it the White City, famous for it's volcano, "Misty".

Lake Titicaca is partly in Peru, partly in Bolivia. The Peruvians say the "titi" (much like it sounds in English) part is in Peru, and the "caca" (poop) part is in Bolivia. The Bolivians probably don't quite see it that way.

9. mnender

mnender Member

Thanks to one and all for their suggestions and replies. It was a very pleasant surprise. I am just a amateur photographer who loves landscape and people/portraits. I will go through all the messages I have received in detail later...

Your help has been much appreciated. Wishing everyone a safe and merry Chrismas and a Happy New Year.

-Mark.

10. johnnywalker

johnnywalker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You won't find a better place to take landscape and people photos than in the Andes.
    Merry Christmas!

11. Jorge Oliveira

Jorge Oliveira Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Ok, Andean guys,

But if jungle and water is what Mark is looking for, Brazil is the place.

Jorge O

12. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

13. sergio caetano

sergio caetano Member

Just another suggestion: Ushuaia, Argentina (not in the winter). Few people, beautiful scenes, glaciers. Previously rent a car.

14. DrPhil

DrPhil Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I've only been to Peru, Bolivia, and N. Chile; thus, I'll give you my thoughts about those three countries. In Peru, the Cordillera blanca is outstanding. You can hire an arriero (cowboy kinda) to haul your gear up any of a number of canyons into the mountains. Laguanas llaguanaco is an outstanding area beneath huascaran. Going into the alpamayo base camp is also a beautiful place. On your days off, stay at Eduardo's in huarez. Edward or his brother have all the info about trail conditions and will make sure to find you a great arriero for a trip into the hills.

Make sure to plan for enough time for the cusco area. I spent five days there and wished for more. The train to cusco is cool. It was the first time I ever rode a train up switchbacks. Yes, it does reverse back and forth to get up the hillside!! We left the train at km80 and hiked the Inca trail. This is another must do. Machu Pichu is also outstanding. You can stay down in aqua calientes if you need more time.

Lago Titicaca is also not to be missed. My time there was somewhat skewed as I was fighting stomach problems. La Paz is a depressing city; however, the altiplano is wonderful. I took a bus from La Paz to Arica Chile. I really wish I had been able to stop halfway near sajama and take some pictures. What a neat place it is cold, barren, flamingos, and has a volcano.

Arequipa was a neat place. Colca canyon left a bit to be desired. However, I think alot of this had to do with the guide that my taxi driver in arequipa suggested.

I'm planning another trip to S. America soon. I plan to explore much of patagonia from bariloche to ushuia.

15. titrisol

titrisol Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format