Lodima Fine Art Paper--Official reports and Member Responses

Discussion in 'Contact Printing' started by Michael A. Smith, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Michael A. Smith

Michael A. Smith Subscriber

We tested the next iteration of the new, forthcoming, Lodima Fine Art paper. We also re-tested the paper we originally tested in April.

The April paper: When we tested this paper in April we found that it was too contrasty and the color was too cool. We were told that it would age for six months or so and then stabilize. The paper now has far less contrast--it is much better than before, but it is still not right.

The October paper: This paper has less contrast than the April paper. But it is still a mite too contrasty. The color is better--warmer than the April paper, but it also is still too cool.

We have spoken with the manufacturer and they told me they will be making the necessary corrections.

So, the paper is not ready yet. I know that many are waiting for this new paper, but I assure everyone that no one is more eager to get the new paper than me and Paula.

We appreciate everyone's patience. We WILL get this paper made. And it will be as beautiful as Azo is.

Michael A. Smith

2. highpeak

highpeak Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I will start looking for 8X10 camera now :smile:.

Good luck to you and the new Azo paper.

Alex W.

3. doughowk

doughowk Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Another few months seems like an eternity; but maybe by then I'll actually have some decent 7X17 negs. Would really be cool if its available for the View Camera Conference next June (if not earlier). Thanks Michael for the update.

4. juan

juan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the update. It's still not as long a wait as for the wonderful amidol order. I have a big card hanging in my workroom - Patience.
    juan

5. blaze-on

blaze-on Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Michael. Now that I'm shooting 8x10 as well, I've been anxious to get some..

We appreciate your dedication and look forward to the finished product.
    Matt

6. photo8x10

photo8x10 Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Thanks Michael for your update...
    My 8x10 negative waiting for this paper and I'm thinking to buy a 8x20 camera....
    I'm waiting for your next update... and I hope will be the right one!!!!!!:smile:

Best

Stefano
    Italy

7. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Forward!

Ok, alright already!:smile:

8. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Michael. this is good news. It takes as long as it takes to get it right. I know the quality will be excellent. I just need to get the $$$ together for some 8x20 paper. When the cameras is done in the next few months I'll have some wonderful paper to print on. Thanks.

Jim

9. Michael Kadillak

Michael Kadillak Member

Testing The New Lomida Fine Art Paper

I cannot say how fortunate we are to be represented in these business proceedings with such a wealth of experience with silver chloride photographic paper. There is no way in hell we would be talking about this subject without your taking the lead in securing this marvelous paper. I know that when you and Paula are satisfied that the paper is right, we will all collectively jump for joy.

In the meantime, we are all saving up and honing our photographic skills in preparation to fully utilize this paper when it finally arrives.

Thanks again for doing what you both do best!

Cheers!

10. Michael A. Smith

Michael A. Smith Subscriber

Status of Lodima Fine Art

A few days ago we tested the new replacement paper for Azo, Lodima Fine Art. We are very happy to report that, with some slight modification to the Amidol developer, the test prints matched the control print almost exactly.

This paper was briefly tested in February by our assistant (we were traveling) and he told us that the paper was too contrasty and that the speed was too fast. When we tested the paper the other day this is what we found: the speed of the paper is faster than Azo, but it did not seem intolerably fast. The contrast seemed to be just right.

Ron Mowrey, a former Kodak engineer, in a forum on the Internet wrote that when paper "ages" after it is put in the box (and the contrast is reduced) it will continue to "age" and lose contrast. We will be testing this same paper again in a few months and again at the end of the summer. If the paper has not lost any contrast and seems to still be good we will go into production in early fall.

Because of summer humidity, and how humidity affects the process of having sensitive paper made, the paper cannot be made in the summer in any case.

So for now, the news is good news.

Michael A. Smith and Paula Chamlee

11. Black Dog

Black Dog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the info-can't wait to try it:smile::smile:!

12. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Michael;

Great news. I hope things go well!

Ron

13. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I wonder if this is the case for ALL photo papers, or just the paper made in the particular plant that Lodima will be made at? Surely Kodak, Ilford and Fuji (big three) have air conditioning and humidity control to be able to continuously make paper products year round? I know Lodima will be made by a smaller factory, but wouldn't all film and paper factories have the facilities to make their products year round?

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. jmdavis

jmdavis Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Michael,

This is great news!! I look forward to trying the new paper with some of my 8x10 negatives.

Mike Davis

16. JLP

JLP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Indeed very good news. Never used Azo due lack of format for contact printing but now with an 8x10 in the family i can't wait to see Lodima released for sale.
    Thanks for the update Michael and good luck with the progress finalizing this developement project.

jan

17. doughowk

doughowk Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is very good news. I'm reminded of a phrase from the early 70s - "Power to the People" including lyrics by John Lennon ;-) Maybe the analog community does have power, including being able to satisfy our own needs. A well-done effort, Michael. Now I need to save some money to put in an order.

18. John Bartley

John Bartley Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    This is good news.

I'm looking forward to getting those two rolls I ordered.

cheers and thank you.

19. Scott Peters

Scott Peters Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Awesome news! I will be 'upping' my order and hope others will as well...

Curious, I know you were trying to make Lodima perhaps 'better' than the former AZO....what are your thoughts? Also, did you test multiple grades? the comment that it was too contrast? Or, just right? Just right for a particular grade? Or, was it a general tonal contrast?

At any rate, this is great news as my supply of AZO is running low. I also know others that have not pre-ordered, but are interested in purchasing some Lodima having seen your prints recently.

20. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm glad that Michael and Paula are taking the necessary time to get the paper right before they proceed with distribution. I wish them every success and promise to try their product when it is available.

21. Alex Hawley

Alex Hawley Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Outstanding news and congratulations. I'm very much looking forward to printing on Lodima.

22. Buster6X6

Buster6X6 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great news Michael I know you WILL succeed. Anything you take upon yourself you accomplish ! Good luck. I am with you.

Greg

23. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Michael, this is great news! I hope the balance of the testing goes well. I will wait for what is sure to be a great paper!

Jim

24. jimgalli

jimgalli Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Wishing you would flood the market with this paper so the price of @#$%#$^ AZO on Ebay would settle out. :wink:

25. photo8x10

photo8x10 Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Michael, great News!!!! I hope to see some test of lodima in yours Tuscany workshop where I'm schedule.....

Best

Stefano

26. Andrew O'Neill

Andrew O'Neill Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Not wanting to be a party pooper, but I'm sure this paper once made available to us will be sold at a premium...