Lodima Fine Art Paper update

Discussion in 'Contact Printing' started by Michael A. Smith, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Michael A. Smith

Michael A. Smith Subscriber

We tested a Grade 2 contrast grade Lodima Fine Art silver chloride paper last week, and we are more than pleased to report that it matched Azo Grade 2 exactly.

We have a coating date in the near future, but we need more orders to make it happen. So, if you have planned to order paper, but have not done so yet, now is the time.

Michael A. Smith

2. henrysamson

henrysamson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    That's great news Michael! I have made some of my best prints ever on the test run that was shipped several months ago. I can't wait to get my hands on some grade 2! My supply of azo is running low.

I have already placed an order for the production run but plan to place another order later today. Thanks again for all your work on this project!

Hank

3. Shawn Dougherty

Shawn Dougherty Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I've also made some of my best prints on paper from the last test run. I've been contact printing all my 4x5 and 6x6cm negs on the paper in order to conserve while I "learn" the new product.

I'm no master printer by any measure but I believe some of the prints I have made would hold their own against many fine photographs I have seen. If there is anyone in my relative area who is hesitating to order I would be happy to get together and show the work I have done thus far. I would also, in good faith, agree to ship a select group of my 6x6 prints within the CONUS for evaluation and return. Again, I make no claim to any exceptional printing skills but I am proud of the work and willing to do what I can to help further the production of this paper.

All the best. Shawn

4. jgjbowen

jgjbowen Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Great news Michael. I'm looking forward to printing some 7x17 negatives on the new Lodima paper.

5. Trevor Crone

Trevor Crone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good news indeed:smile:

Like others have noted I also feel I've made some of my best 8x10 contact prints on this beautiful paper.

8x10 and 9x11 pre-ordered.

6. photo8x10

photo8x10 Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Great News!!!! Michael
    I've just done my order,quite big, but I'm sure to increase my order Monday, When I'm coming back home..

Stefano

7. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I may just try some of this amAZO. What kind of results should I expect if I processed it in 1:2 Dektol?

8. doughowk

doughowk Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There have been several comments on other threads/forums that Dektol is not good choice for AZO - greenish cast. I would imagine similar for new Lodima. I've been using Ansco PF 130 on Lodima and like the results - a hint of warmth. Lodima is a pleasure to work with, and looking forward to the next run.

9. Shawn Dougherty

Shawn Dougherty Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I've used the MAS Amidol formula for Azo with extra KBr as well as PF130 1:1. If you don't need to use a water bath, to my eye, the 130 gives similar results. The water bath is very effective with the Amidol and is especially useful since we're talking about a graded paper. Since I can keep a working solution of 130 ready for quick use I've been using it and saving any contrasty negs for an occasional session with Amidol.

Shawn

10. c6h6o3

c6h6o3 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Use amidol. There's just no substitute for it with silver chloride papers.

11. jgjbowen

jgjbowen Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Agreed!

12. Softie

Softie Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    AZO turns blue in Dektol 1:2. Really blue. You can tone it back to neutral, warm, or rust-colored with selenium.

Lodima is greenish in Dektol 1:2. The color is not extreme; some people might find it acceptable. When toned with selenium it warms up, but you cannot attain the extreme shades you could with AZO.