Lomographic Society

Discussion in 'Lo-Fi Cameras' started by gr82bart, Feb 9, 2007.

1. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So what with all the anti-Lomo sentiment out there? Why? Is Lomo to certain ToyCameras like Kodak is to certain Film Photographers? Why the hate-on?

Regards, Art.

2. jstraw

jstraw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had no idea. I have no real knowledge of Lomo other than references on the web or in a few books. What is the nature of this hate?

3. Pinholemaster

Pinholemaster Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Weird, they find a way to bring fun back into photography for many people. Even saving some Russian camera manufacturers from disappearing, and that thanks they get from some people. I have a few of their products. I knew before buying that I wasn't getting Sinar/Leica/top of the line quality, but hey, I've enjoyed their products for what they are.

Some people are just negative, and in photography the end result is the positive. Ha ha ha ha.

4. Leon

Leon Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    people have a problem with the Lomo Society because they take a certain product, repackage and over-hype then charge a fortune for something that would have cost half the price before Lomo society bought up the last remaining stocks.

I suppose you could say that if people stupid enough to pay the prices lomo society charge, then more fool them.

I think it's like the move towards local indepent shops and away from supermarket grocery sales that is happening over here in th uk within some circles of society. I guess some people think there is a point where businesses get too big for their boots.

I must admit, it is my opinion that most of the stuff they sell is rubbish wrapped up in smart packaging. But, as FrankB once said, you cant polish a turd :smile:

5. DBP

DBP Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have nothing against the cameras they sell, as such, but find it shocking that they have managed to hype a run of the mill camera to the point where it sells for ten times what it used to. Consider that a new Olympus Stylus Epic sells for $80 and a LOMO LC-A, used, for twice that. Meanwhile, the Kiev 35a goes for <$30, and offers essentially the same features.

On the other hand, I paid $8 for my LC-A, and really do need to put it up for auction.

6. jstraw

jstraw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I guess I understand the anti-lomo thing now.

7. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I think there are still cheap Lomos from Freestyle, no? They used to offer really good deals if you bought them in quantity, say for a school group. I haven't checked lately.

8. Alex Bishop-Thorpe

Alex Bishop-Thorpe Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In a round about way, the Lomographic society got me into photography. My friend picked up a colour-shot or something and I sorta got into the spirit of film a bit more with her enthusiasm. I never got a lomo camera though, honestly I have better things to spend that sort of obscene amount of money on...mostly better equipment. I think that is indeed the main problem people have with them, they charge through the nose for cameras they've hyped up and made into a trend.

9. Akki14

Akki14 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I guess it's the Brownie* of toy photography. "Cheap" artsy fartsy photography for the masses at an inflated price because It Is Lomo. I agree with the sentiment... if people want to pay that price good for them. But then again, it can be hard to find an independent source of these cheap cameras in certain areas of the world and for those without other means, lomo provides the only way of obtaining these cameras.
    I don't think the Quad Cam I got my husband is any worse than lomo's Action Sampler but it was less than half the price from a local store.

In any case, I prefer the more generic term "toy camera" to "lomo" even if it is longer to type.

*actually Brownies were way cheaper than anything Lomo carries...

10. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have an LC-A bought in 1998. I was a member over at the LS too, but got tired of seeing cheap camera after cheap camera advertised as having 'a GREAT contrasty lens!', for hugely inflated prices.

The LC-A is an ok little point and shoot. What makes it fun is it's built in metering system which, when set to auto, will keep the shutter open until it has decided enough light has hit the film. This makes them great for low light photography, allowing you to get results like this.

I think the 'hate-on' you mention tends to be directed more at the owners of the Lomographic Society.

Ps. It is a common misconception that every camera sold by the LS is a 'Lomo'. This is not the case. The only true Lomo cameras are the Lomo LC-a and the Lomo Smena range. Everything else they sell are just cheap plastic knock-offs from the far east ie. the Coloursplash, the Supersampler, the Actionsampler etc.

11. razocaine_07

razocaine_07 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    its simple, dont buy off the lomo site, go to ebay and wait for a bargain

12. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Lubitel rules!