London Galleries?

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews, Shows & Contests' started by matt miller, Jul 10, 2008.

1. matt miller

matt miller Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My family and I will be visiting the UK in August. We're going over for a wedding and will be staying in Bedford most of the time. We will be going to London for two days, 8/19 & 20.

While in London, I'd like to take a few hours for myself and visit a really good photo gallery. I'd like to see some work of the masters. I don't really care about modern inkjet artists. I want to see good traditional work.

Can anyone suggest a few galleries or museums where I could find this sort of thing?

Thank you so much.

2. RobC

RobC Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. Gary Holliday

Gary Holliday Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    A visit to the Print Room at the Victoria & Albert Museum is a must. Draw up a list of your favourite masters and they will bring out a collection of prints for you. Ring in advance to check opening times.

4. Akki14

Akki14 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  5. catem

catem Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is a 'must' - if you are at all interested in 'people' photography, and even, I would suggest, if you aren't.

http://www.tate.org.uk/modern/exhibitions/streetandstudio/default.shtm

Be prepared - it's quite a marathon, just about everyone is there, it's a lot of everything rather than an in-depth view of a few. I normally prefer the latter but found my visit very much worth it. I was there for almost three hours which is a long time for me, I normally have a low saturation threshold for exhibitions and like to do it little and slow. This is a fascinating exhibition, and it's mind-blowing to see quite so many great and famous works during one trip. I'm planning another visit before it comes down at the end of August. Go as early on in the morning as you can - it does make a difference as it will most likely get very busy quite quickly in the day.

6. mikeg

mikeg Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Still, there's usually some excellent stuff on display in the V&A and if you have younger members of the family, they can visit the Science and/or the Natural History Museum over the road.

Mike

7. matt miller

matt miller Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you for the suggestions thus far. We are staying one night in London, and just happen to be staying very close to the Tate Modern. I will be sure to hit that one.

It's a shame the V&A print room won't be open. That would be very cool.