London, your favorite stores

Discussion in 'Geographic Location' started by jmdco, Mar 20, 2013.

1. jmdco

jmdco Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello, I'm going to London for a few days. Can you give me the address of your favorite stores photos (35mm and large format equipement, laboratory equipment, second hand ...).

Thank you,

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Teamwork, Foley Street. Aperture -never visited but excellent reputation +a cafe. Avoid Nicholas cameras like the plague.

Ian

3. f1lmf4n4tic

f1lmf4n4tic Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Process Supplies near Farringdon tube is excellent for everything you need to develop film. They also do films on wholesale prices. Recommended!

4. BMbikerider

BMbikerider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    They have a very dubious reputation and should have been closed down several years ago.

There is another, about 10 miles south of Central London in Windmill Road, Croydon. 'Mr Cad' ('Cad' stands for Camera Audio Discount) He is another to be wary of, - very wary! His used equipment is just that - very used and he charges top dollar for it. His guarantees are a mere token gesture. His warehouse type of outlet is packed with kit but it should be examined very very closely.

That is a very negative viewpoint but it is best to be told what to avoid.

If you get into central London around the British Museum there are a couple of shops but you will pay a premium price for whatever you buy. If you are taking any equipment out of the country there is the option of not paying the tax on what you buy currently at 20%. Ask at the shop if you are keen on anything.

5. mr rusty

mr rusty Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You occasionally see interesting photo gear on Portobello Market, but I'd be going more out of just interest, than the expectation of actually finding anything.

http://www.portobellomarket.org/

...and if you want any other London advice, let me know.

6. Slixtiesix

Slixtiesix Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have made good experience with Peter Loy. He is not settled on any brand or type of camera, but most of his stock consists of Leica and vintage MF/LF gear. He has other as well as some newer cameras in stock though! I bought my Hasselblad from him, at a very fair price and in tremendous shape. His rating is very honest. My camera was sold as "with slight signs of use" but I found it virtually as good as new.

http://www.peterloy.com

7. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I never got to Silverprint, but sure want to next time I go to the UK.

If you use Nikon gear at all, Grays of Westminster is a must-visit.

8. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Silverprint is very good for materials and if he has time Martin Reed, the owner has extensive knowledge of thing s photographic.

Grays despite being a prestigious Nikon dealer and based in a very expensive area of London is very competitive in price. Again lots to see there. Probably the most extensive set of Nikon gear in the U.K.

pentaxuser

9. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Possibly the world.

I hunted for years for an EC-E screen for my Nikon F5 and I couldn't find one. I emailed Grays and they had one and would happily post it.

I ended up going to London half a year or so later and bought it in person. A nice souvenir from a wonderful trip, and it increases the usability of my F5 nicely.

10. jmdco

jmdco Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thank you for your answers. True, know the bad and god addresses is important.

I like to visit a city. Go to the photo store to another. Discoveries are great. With good business, there are streets, neighborhoods, people, architecture... away from the tourist book.

So yes, Mr Roux and Apuger, you can give me your address and advice. Please.

I have not seen London for a long time. I want to rediscover this beautiful city again, camera in hand.

For those who want to walk around in Amsterdam http://www.apug.org/forums/forum49/100628-what-do-amsterdam-2.html.