Long distance shutter release for RB

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by tkamiya, Jan 11, 2013.

1. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I need a remote shutter release for Mamiya RB-SD. Of course, RB uses threaded type release so any kind will do but I have one requirement. It needs to work from at minimum 30 feet away, hopefully 40 feet. Looking everywhere, I can only find the bulb type release.

Are there any OTHER choice? I would really love to have radio control type but I cannot find one with mechanically actuated threaded adapter. I can DIY but I'd like to avoid that if possible.

It does NOT need to be the double kind. I'll just raise the mirror manually and trip the shutter only via remote.

2. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The longest one I have is about 10 feet. Could you make one by radio control unit?

Jeff

3. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah, just a small problem.... She is going to be in the photograph with me....

This is a double self-portrait project.

I thought about getting a short pneumatic type, cut it, and pump it up with a small air pump. I can rig up a garage door clicker and receiver, hook it up to a pump and do it that way. I think it's better than using a solenoid or servo as vibration won't transfer to the camera body.

I really wanted to avoid DIY though.

5. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  6. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I hate self-timers!

7. bushpig

bushpig Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hey! Not cool! My father used a self-timer in World War 2!

But really, that's some strong feeling for self-timers. But whatever works. I really hope you can find one. I've only seen really long air-bulby type jobbies.

Good luck!

8. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The air/bulb type of release should work. I have on that came with a long hose, 20 foot I think. Should be able to extend the hose with something from the local hardware store.

9. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Self-timer always makes me nervous. I much prefer remote control.

I just ordered 20 feet bulb release. If it doesn't work to my liking, I might just rig up something myself.

10. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If I need to do what you want to do I would buy the pneumatic type and hook it up to a can of air with a solenoid operated valve in between. The remote control system will turn on the solenoid valve.

11. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I *just* threw out an old blood pressure meter. It had a working air pump in it. I really wish I kept that.... It would have been a perfect pump for this usage.

12. cjbecker

cjbecker Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Just have a release set up and then use a piece of wood/something that is connected to a string your holding onto. Pull the string, wood falls over, lands on the release, trips the shutter.

13. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Rube Goldberg method! I like it.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Reinhold

Reinhold Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    One problem with the long reach pnuematic units is that the small bulb does not have enough volume to fill the 30' of soft, stretchy rubber tube with enough pressure to be firm and reliable.

The longer the tube the more flabby the action.
    The softer the tube the more flabby the action.
    The bulb volume must be large enough to fill the entire tube and cylinder with plenty of FIRM pressure.

Two things are needed...

... Tubing that won't expand, such as 1/8" I.D urethane or pvc plastic.
    ... A BIG bulb with plenty of volume and firm enough to maintain pressure, such as this one...
    http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/DB-1/DUST-BLOWER-WITH-NOZZLE/1.html
    This is the one I use on my front mounted Packard shutter systems.

Reinhold

www.re-inventedPhotoEquip.com

16. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you. I didn't think about that but makes sense. My 20 feet bulb will be here on Friday. I'll see how much reserve capacity the bulb has.

17. paul ron

paul ron Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Pneumatic won't work.. too long n not enough volume or preasure.

Electrical is the best bet using a solenoid to push a regualr cable release in. Make the wire as long as you like. A fun DIY project.

Otherwise another is model airplane or boat remote controls to push a cable release in for ya.

no brainers, just some DIY know how to make it work.

18. cjbecker

cjbecker Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    HAHAAH guess so.

19. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just got the Adorama version of this... 20 feet long. About 12 bucks. Plenty of reserve in the bulb although I don't think I can lengthen this by extending it much.

20. Ric Trexell

Ric Trexell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    At my local Dollar Store...

At my local Dollar General store they have one of those remote door bells buttons sitting on the counter. When you are ready to check out, you ring the door bell and the little gal comes running. I don't know how much those cost, but I would think you could maybe rework the thing to trip a shutter. If not that, if you could find a junked car with the remote lock system, and the key fob to go with it, then you would have a camera tripping device that only one in 100,000 honest people could use to trip your shutter. Or, one in 10 crimminals. There must be other remote devices that could be used to do the deed. Ric.

21. Ric Trexell

Ric Trexell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    After I posted that last comment, I thought of another thing one might use. Could the remote trunk release in a car be converted for that too? If you went to a junk yard, and removed the button which is usually in the glove compartment, and remove the release in the truck, other than a 12volt battery, I would think you would have all the major components that you need? Any feedback on this? Ric.

22. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There are whole bunch of stuff one can use if one is willing to DIY. I wasn't.

One of the easiest thing I thought of was to use a small air pump and hook up this air bulb thing. Just the tip end. Unlike solenoid or servo, you get to dampen the shock by actuating with air. There is a small air pump in all those automated blood pressure gauges suitable for this use. I wanted to avoid "kuchunk" type thing as it has a chance of transmitting this sudden shock to the camera body.

If you want to go the car parts route, Mercedes-benz vehicle from the 90s used pneumatic pump system for doors and trunks. (also fuel cap flap). A pump is hidden under the seat.

23. Reinhold

Reinhold Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If the bulb is capable of tripping your shutter with 20' of thin rubber tubing, you may find that you can go to 30' that by replacing the rubber tube with 1/8" vinyl tube. It won't be as soft and easy to roll up, but it'll be a lot more positive.

1/8" I.D by 1/4" O.D, A bit stiff and bulky, but commonly available at local hardware stores:

http://www.spadepot.com/shop/Vinyl-...serID=89501003&SessionID=f0aXLsXGegD8WuH2oJSa

Slightly more flexible (3/16" O.D.)

http://www.amazon.com/Vinyl-Tubing-...d=1358443103&sr=1-4&keywords=1/8+vinyl+tubing

For super flexible, absolutely guaranteed not to "balloon" like rubber tube, use Polyurethane tubing.
    The 1/16" I.D. will assuredly give you double the useable length of your bulb. It might be a bit sluggish to fill the cylinder, but it WILL guarantee full pressure to trip the shutter. And it will probably coil up just as small as the rubber tubing...

http://www.amazon.com/Polyurethane-...=1358444235&sr=1-3&keywords=1/16+vinyl+tubing

Reinhold
    www.re-inventedPhotoEquip.com

24. revdocjim

revdocjim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A friend sounds the the easiest solution by far!

25. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You are forgetting the fact that this is APUG, an enthusiast forum... We need a complicated solution for every problem....

26. cjbecker

cjbecker Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    What's so hard about a string and weight to fall on the cable release?