Long exposures with colour

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Gary Holliday, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Gary Holliday

Gary Holliday Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have always been interested in this style of merging colour in landscapes, but have never got round to producing anything.

How would I create this type of image?
    Exposure, filters, reciprocity?

Attached Files:

2. Discpad

Discpad Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    Lens tilt?

3. bob100684

bob100684 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    more than 5 seconds of exposure.

4. Gary Holliday

Gary Holliday Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I think my question should ask how does long exposures effect transparency film?
    When does reciprocity kick in with velvia or provia?

5. Doyle Thomas

Doyle Thomas Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I start adding for reciprocity after 4 seconds. After 30 seconds I add a full stop. after 2 min I add 2 stops. I have made Velvia exposures to 8 min.

Doyle

6. HerrBremerhaven

HerrBremerhaven Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kodak E100VS works quite well with little to no additional exposure out to one minute. Beyond that, you might want to add 1/3 stop more exposure to 3 minutes, and 2/3 stop more exposure beyond 7 minutes. There is sometimes a slight blue shift in very long exposures (beyond 4 minutes).

If you are doing this in the daytime, and using ND filters, then you have another factor to consider. Some ND filters are not perfectly neutral. On longer exposures, any colour cast from an ND filter will alter the final result on film. You might not see, or notice, a colour cast on shorter exposures, but as time increases the effect can be more noticeable. Buy good ND filters.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

7. John Curran

John Curran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    After 128 secs for provia and after 4 secs or longer for velvia. My info comes from data sheets that may be out of date (for velvia at least). Fuji has just re-released velvia and I don't know if their new formulation has changed this. You can download film data sheets from fuji to find out.

best regards

john