Long live Kodak!

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by F/1.4, Jan 20, 2012.

1. F/1.4

F/1.4 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No matter what happens to Kodak, so long as they keep making film, I will shoot it.

Mamiya 645 AFD, 80mm f/2.8 @ 2.8, Ektar 100 @ ISO 50, expertly processed at Richard Photo Lab:
    [​IMG]

I also liked this one :smile:
    [​IMG]

2. Terry Christian

Terry Christian Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Absolutely beautiful! The last, full-body shot is particularly great.

3. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great shots!

Jeff

4. JLP

JLP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yep! no one makes film like Kodak. one more.

5. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Great work! I hope Kodak film pulls through!...As a side note, I find it interesting how many labs (such as Richard Photo Lab) who use Fuji paper and chemistry for their services as compared to those who use Kodak. Although it does not really matter in the scanning age, it is interesting that people don't often think about bringing Kodak film to a lab that uses Kodak chemistry and papers... I have noticed a difference between the results.

6. F/1.4

F/1.4 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm Glad you guys like them!

Yeah most labs use Fuji CN-16 chemicals..Kodak rebranded some Noritsu's (mostly "KPT-750"'s) that used Kodak chemistry, but when Kodak couldn't keep up with production they got converted to Fuji chemistry with an FA2 kit. It's kind of jenky how it works and when not maintained can go south quick.

I'm sure RPL uses Fuji chemistry, but I had these done on their Noritsu scanner. I like what they can do with the Noritsu, I get better skin tones.

Also shot off a roll of 400H when the sun started going down, had a couple good exposures in it!

645 AFD, 80mm, 2.8, 400h @ 200:
    [​IMG]

It's funny how these were shot in the dead of winter, in the Pacific Northwest. The Ektar makes it look like summer!

7. dnjl

dnjl Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Lovely pictures!

Which reminds me, I have to pick up a roll of developed 120 ektar from the lab today.

8. mr. mohaupt

mr. mohaupt Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    F/1.4 I love your set, I noticed some others on a different thread. Right now I have been on a Portra kick myself. Just out of curiosity did you light her? Maybe a reflector? They look great!

~M

9. F/1.4

F/1.4 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is 100% available light, no modifiers. Ektar looks amazing in flat lighting, just shoot it at ISO 50 and expose for the shadows!

I used to shoot a lot of portra 400, it's easy to shoot, but I got sick of the brown/orange tone it has for skintones. I much prefer the pink tones from ektar, 160s and 400h. Portra made people look like they had jaundice a little too much for me.

10. mr. mohaupt

mr. mohaupt Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the tip, I most certainly am going to try that. I have some ecktachrome 100SW (vintage 99) that I shoot at ISO80 that looks great in natural overcast light.

11. tomalophicon

tomalophicon Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    Ektar even looks great for people in contrasty lighting... Let me dig that up....

12. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Easier said than done, in Canada at least. Kodak.ca before it folded in 2005 spent equal time abusing and ignoring small pro labs--Q-lab support withdrawn, erratic pricing/availability of paper, huge minimum orders, absent tech support. Then things got worse by getting worse since then. Fuji offered better service, flexible ordering, and what many felt was a superior product.

13. baachitraka

baachitraka Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nothing can beat ananlog no matter whether it is a color or a B+W.

Refreshing...

14. Danielle

Danielle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Its a kodak moment!

*sorry* But it is pretty true. LOL

15. stavrosk

stavrosk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    A lab that uses good quality chemicals and scans the photos one by one and not in automatic is much more important that Kodak chemistry...