Long-term Afghanistan Photo Project

Discussion in 'Presentation & Marketing' started by Tom Stanworth, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Tom Stanworth

Tom Stanworth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Some of you may remember me from a few years back when I used to be more active shooting LF B&W landscapes, but in the last few years I have been living and working in Afghanistan and shooting on a long-term photo project provisionally named 'Russians and Royals'. It has not been shot on LF of course, but it is all film.

I have been gradually adding to the project to the point at which it is 80% complete and so I am happy to show the work if anyone is interested.

When I have time and the photography is done, I will write about the experience to add words to the pictures. For this sort of project it is important because Afghanistan is often not what people expect and there are many issues that are invisible to those outside of the country.

The outline concept of the project is to look at how ordinary Afghans are variously coping with the current era against a backdrop of the past. For the backdrop I chose prominent, iconic sites associated with the Russian and Royal periods, each with distinctive legacies which continue to affect life today, both positively and negatively.

I shot in very close radius to these four sites, most of which are in the center of Kabul, in some cases close to Parliament and all of which are well known to most Afghans. You might even say that the scenes witnessed at these locations, even their continued physical existences, invites commentary on the current conflict and offers insight into efforts to rehabilitate the country. I could spend a lifetime photographing this one theme, but expect to leave later this summer. I suspect I will be back at some point!

The site is at: www.thomasstanworth.com

2. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great folio of work there Tom - not at all what we get to see every evening from the newsdesk. . . . . .

I'm still in the process of shooting for my own project and it has stalled due to work taking control of my life just now. The images you've captured have renewed my enthusiasm for my own projects - hope to see your finished project soon!

3. SuzanneR

SuzanneR Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well done... there's some great work in there...

4. Shaggysk8

Shaggysk8 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    There are some amazing photos in there and the site is nice and easy to look through.

I just wondered what camera, film you used :D also maybe the grade you printed at I really like the look of your images.

Paul

5. Peter Schrager

Peter Schrager Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Bravo to you Tom; it's got to be one of the toughest places to photograph in the world
    best, Peter

6. Daniel Lancaster

Daniel Lancaster Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This has hallmarks of historically important work. IMO this work will show globally.

It is better than anything I have seen in the past 12 months anywhere in the world. I have no idea who this guy is (tom stanworth) and to be honest I dont particularly care because the work stands alone.

This is special.

7. ChrisC

ChrisC Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    This really is a stunning, inspiring body of work. The story it tells through the people's body language alone is really something.

I only hope somehow, one day I'll see it in the print.

8. Thomas Moraitis

Thomas Moraitis Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Great work, from every aspect. It certainly deserves to be published. Thanks for sharing.

9. Marco B

Marco B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great series. I recognized some of the places from the book by Simon Norfolk "Afghanistan", although your emphasis is far more on the people of Afghanistan, while Simon concentrated on the almost abstract scenes of destruction.

10. Tom Stanworth

Tom Stanworth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am really glad the work has struck a chord with many of you. I will be looking at the publication and exhibition options over the next few months and will keep you updated - fingers crossed. apug.org (or more accurately apuggers) has been a great support and resource for me over the years and it has been greatly appreciated.

Tom

11. Erik Petersson

Erik Petersson Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I also really enjoyed your photographs. However, I could only find five or six of them. Are there more to be found on your page?

I lived for a couple of years in a neighbouring country, and can recognize some things in your photos. They look true to me.

12. Tom Stanworth

Tom Stanworth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Erik,

There should be just under 90 images under Russians and Royals. Perhaps the site did not load properly. Its best viewed on full screen and with the slide show running. If it hangs you can move the cursor onto the right side of an image and click for 'next.' The problem comes if it is still loading images and your internet is a little slow (like mine).

13. Erik Petersson

Erik Petersson Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for your reply. I will try again.

Erik

14. Pete H

Pete H Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Tom, there´s some beautiful work there! I´d love to see an exhibition.

Pete