Longest handheld exposure

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by cliveh, Apr 10, 2013.

1. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Assuming you were trying to obtain an acceptably sharp image, at reasonable magnification such as a 10” X 8” print, using a standard lens on your format of choice, what is the longest handheld exposure you would attempt using a standard lens? The best I have achieved is ¼ second with my back pressed against a wall. Of course this is also dependent on how much you have had to drink the night before.

2. cjbecker

cjbecker Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I don't like to waste film, 1/30 only If I have to. 6x6 FYI

3. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I once did a 1/8th second exposure with my Hasselblad that prints nicely to 11x14. I sat on the floor and aimed the camera up for a photograph of the ceiling of the Wisconsin state capitol building in Madison. The camera was held with both hands, and I pressed up against a stone pillar, resting my arms in my lap. Don't know if that counts. No mirror lockup. Tripods were not allowed, but I used a cable release that I released with my teeth, believe it or not.

4. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Was that with the mirror locked up?

5. MaximusM3

MaximusM3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    With a Leica? 1/4, 1/8 no problem. Couple of deep breaths...and no double espresso :smile: Although, if I don't forget, I try to use Tom Abrahamsson's soft release for those. Big help.

6. NedL

NedL Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't know a good answer, but I have one example that was 1/4th second with the 35mm camera itself braced on a rail but tilted up with my left hand under the lens to frame the image.. it is perfectly fine. Another from the same day was 1/8th second handheld at my eye... I was standing and made it as well as I am possibly able ( shutter released as I breathed out... as still as can be ) and I made an 8x10 print that is definitely soft. It still looks nice, but there is softness. I'm glad I made the photo and I like it.

I've wondered about this topic in another way... I have some old folding MF cameras. They have top shutter speeds of 1/100 and 1/200. One has a 105mm lens with speeds of 1/25 and 1/50 and it does not have a tripod socket. Obviously it was made to use those shutter speeds even though by the "1 over focal length" rule these would be too long for handheld use. When I use 100 speed film, it can be a problem keeping the shutter speed as fast as 1/100 if there's shade or it's not a bright day. Probably this has all been covered on APUG a thousand times, but I wonder if that "1 over focal length" rule of thumb is really only for 35mm cameras... It seems odd that the camera would be made without a tripod socket and have only the fastest speed usable with the films that would have been available at that time. Someday I'll try some 1/25 and see how it goes....

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2013
  7. blockend2

blockend2 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Braced against knees, walls, etc, anything down to 1/4 sec. Freehand, nothing lower than 1/60 for a 10 x 8" print, 1/30 on a leaf shutter model.

8. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    In 35mm, 1/10 is about my limit. I guess that would be 1/8 or 1/15 in today's shutter speeds.

For folding cameras, I really don't like to get below 1/25.

9. NedL

NedL Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oops. I always forget to look at what forum I'm in! Sorry if my MF musings were off-topic! I'm still curious about it though!

Also, it would probably be relevant to mention that my 1/4s and 1/8s examples were with a 24mm lens.

10. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i regularly hand hold a box camera with either 4x5 film or 4x5 paper negatives
    for 10 seconds or more ... i have a handful of them in my gallery here on apug

11. LiamG

LiamG Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I once got away with 1/8 on a Pentax 67 MLU'ed (90mm)- that was partly dumb luck, but the photo was worth the chance. I'd use 1/4 or 1/8 on a F3/4/5 in a pinch, I wouldn't waste MF with such a low probability of success- 1/15 maybe on 43mm.

12. jcc

jcc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    On 35mm, 2 seconds "freehand" and 8 seconds while resting elbows on my knees. Granted, these are not things I do regularly. Usually, I'm fine with 1 second.

13. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I do not bother to hand hold for exposures longer than 1/30 second.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Dr Croubie

Dr Croubie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is it cheating if you're using a new IS lens? I've gotten 1/5 seconds with my 70-300L on my EOS 3 (I've also gotten 1.5 seconds with my 15-85 on my 7D, but that's not film so I won't mention it)

16. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I can jump up-and-down on one leg while rubbing my tummy with my left hand and drink a warm carbonated beverage at the same time... and never burp, belch, or blow!

17. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I'm sure he means a clear image you can actually see HAHA

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

18. bobwysiwyg

bobwysiwyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You don't drink coffee I take it. :smile:

19. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i don't know stone, you can see a clear image in most of the things i do long exposures of ...

http://www.apug.org/gallery1/showimage.php?i=69222
    http://www.apug.org/gallery1/showimage.php?i=71109
    http://www.apug.org/gallery1/showimage.php?i=63739
    http://www.apug.org/gallery1/showimage.php?i=64183

if you poke around my gallery here, or my blog ( nanianphoto.com/blog ) you will find more ..

LOL

i drinks maybe 4 shots of espresso a day
    but espresso doesn't have much caffeine in it ...

20. Truzi

Truzi Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In 35mm I've actually hand-held 1 second, and very rarely. I only do it if there are no other options and I really want the picture, and usually the image is acceptable.
    I've done it standing, holding my breath, while pulling my arms in against my body and the camera pressed firmly against my face.

...and I never do it if I'm low on caffiene - I don't function well caffiene-free.

21. DF

DF Member

I'm assuming what you're really asking is, "how long...without a tripod?"
    Laying on the ground, frontside that is, looking ahead, BOTH elbows planted firmly down on ground for balence, holding camera firmly to face while looking through viewfinder, should enable as long as 1/8 of a second with an SLR. It does so with me when I'm without my 'pod.

22. Alan Klein

Alan Klein Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, you'll be very steady of you drink enough and pass out.

23. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Maybe you drink so much coffee your head shakes and you think those images are normal and clear LOL :smile:

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

24. Truzi

Truzi Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    LOL. At times a can of caffeinated pop can make me sleepy. It's kind of weird, that it rarely affects me (probably from life-long abuse of pepsi). I've only been "wired" about two or three times in my life, and one of those was after about a dozen cups of tea.

I've a coworker that has done five- and ten-second exposures in 35mm, and though mostly fuzzy, there is usually some part of the image that is "sharp" enough to look good.
    Not to the original post, but so far I've hand-held medium format at about 1/4 second with fair results.

25. jordanstarr

jordanstarr Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    1-2 seconds in a tunnel. Deep breath, steady hands, arms braced against my body like a tripod, mirror up....hope for the best!

Attached Files:

26. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I call BS on two seconds lol, however you might just be counting fast, I can see ALMOST a second perhaps

~Stone