Longevity of coulour v. B&W prints

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by thefizz, Feb 18, 2005.

1. thefizz

thefizz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It may seem a strange question but how do colour prints compare to B&W (not toned) for longevity if both have been washed a fixed correctly and both hand printed. Which would last the longest.

Thanks,
    Peter

2. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Depends on the medium. Old fashion paper based prints fade very quickly in light, newer RC much longer, Fuji claims 75 years for crystal archive. Cibracrome/Ilforicrome 40 years, dye transfer 75 years or longer. I still have color prints that my father took in the 50's that are holding up, and I have prints from the 60s and 70s that show no fading at all. My early cibracrome look as good at the day I printed them.

Regards

Paul

3. Donald Miller

Donald Miller Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Your question fails to establish certain important parameters. The first would be the type of color process the second would be the characteristics of the black and white image. By that I mean RC or Fiber. Silver Gelatin, Pt/Pd, or inkjet. All of the foregoing would be considered black and white images.

If we were to assume that you meant silver gelatin printed on fiber paper compared to conventional color images then the silver gelatin print would last longer.

4. thefizz

thefizz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Sorry for the vagueness, I meant RC B&W and standard colour prints from negs (not cibachrome).

5. jd callow

jd callow Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just my guess but...
    RC B7W i believe will still have an edge because it is silver infused where as the RA4 image is produced via dyes.

Eventually the surface will deteriorate on both.

6. Claire Senft

Claire Senft Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Just a guess

I would rather put my faith in a properly processed Crystal Archive print than I would in any untoned B&W RC print.

7. jd callow

jd callow Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kodak is now making claims that the endura papers have even longer shelf life than CA.

8. psvensson

psvensson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm with Claire. Silver is more susceptible to attack from gases in air than the dyes in color prints. An untoned, unframed B&W print hanging on my fridge door is showing discoloration after a couple of years, something I've never seen in color prints. I now treat my prints with Sistan, but haven't used it long enough to know if it makes a difference.

9. thefizz

thefizz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks everyone for your replies.
    Peter