Look of old paper?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by winger, Jul 26, 2013.

1. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Having gone through prints and negatives from my great-grandparents, I really love the paper most of them are printed on. It's thin, thinner than computer paper even, I think. Though it's also fairly tough feeling. It has a sheen to it on the borders that's a little like Art300, but there isn't really much texture to it. Does such a paper still exist? Is there a paper that can be coated with liquid light or similar or with a homemade emulsion that would be similar? Most papers I've seen that can stand the water exposure or much thicker. These prints are just cool somehow and they feel really nice.

2. Rlibersky

Rlibersky Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    They use to make photo paper that could be folded. It can be folded and slipped into a pocket without cracking the emulsion. I have some and it is thin but nice looking. There is none that I know of being made today.

3. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There's nothing remotely similar to those old papersand their surfaces, the closest would be Art300 or the old Kentemere Art.

Ian

4. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is there a some web site that has detailed infos about photographic paper history?

5. paul_c5x4

paul_c5x4 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2013
  6. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    How's about ordering some single weight Unibrom paper from Slavich? You can get some Slavish single weight paper in the States again too! I use the smooth matte, but they've glossy too. And I think a embossed single weight (matte or glassy) Unibrom

Pm me your 411 and I can put a couple'a test paper and print sample in a black bag for ya and mail it to ya.

If you like like, give Bernadette your info, I believe she orders 4x a year:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum172/101144-slavich-paper-available-us-again-via-laser-reflections.html

I have some

7. MartinP

MartinP Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Sounds like unglazed, single-weight, fibre-based glossy paper. I used this for contacts thirty-five years ago and occasionally for small-ish prints too. I read of there being an Airmail-weight paper too, but have never even seen any of that.

Have you looked around to compare the material with current non-glazed fibre papers? There are different base-weights in use across different manufacturers, but perhaps Slavich or Fuji are the only ones advertising single-weight paper as such. Then again, perhaps you are more interested in the surface 'look', than the base 'feel'?

8. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thin, foldable photographic paper is still available, though expensive.

9. MartinP

MartinP Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Now I'm curious . . . Made by whom and distributed where?!

10. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
  11. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't know the origin, it is converted and distributed by Wephota in Germany.

12. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hummm, you think it is the IDS stuff that R3 is sellin?

13. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Print textures went from pearl to the very coarse tweed and tapestry.. This is one area of photography where digital created a serious loss in technique.

14. GregW

GregW Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not to mention true velvet paper (with actual nap) from Mimosa, Bromide opaline parchment-translucent !, Kodak Transvelotype- transferred the emulsion to glass with hot water to make a slide, Stripping Kruxo-- a transparent tissue!- they also made a "true Sepia paper", Sensitized Japanese rice paper by Artatone…. so many cool papers…

15. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The problem with the demise of most base papers is that the photochemical industry blames the most important base paper manufacturer to ask too big volumes for custom papers, whereas that paper mill denies that and blame the former not to ask for other papers...

16. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks all for the answers! It's both the surface and the feel of the paper that I like. The thin-ness is a big part, but it just looks cool. Art300 is kinda close and I do like it, but it's more textured and very thick in comparison. I don't think most of these are foldable. Some have creases from how they were stored.
    I'll admit that once I found Ilford paper in the late 90s that I never really looked around at others. I've tried a few sheets of Bergger because someone gave me a sample pack, but that's it.

Yes, there should be a "history of photographic papers" somewhere. Every detail of film is written up in countless places; did anyone do that for paper?

17. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't know of any, as Kit Funderburk basically only speaks about Kodak papers.

18. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No, that is in its lightest version "single weight" and thus would be too heavy.

19. mesantacruz

mesantacruz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    just ordered some vellum to coat with liquid light... maybe vellum is it?... although the folding part sounds interesting... i think the emulsion would crack or even any fiber paper for that matter.

20. George Nova Scotia

George Nova Scotia Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  21. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great listing!

22. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    George, that's a fantastic writeup of old papers - thanks very much for the link!

23. papermaker

papermaker Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for the plug. There is a first addition in print form. There is also a second edition available at www.notesonphotographics.org which I would recommend instead of the print addition. It is available on the site as an interactive document plus as a pdf which can be printed in book format.

There is another post here that my book is only about Kodak papers. That is correct in the specific. However, there are some things that are similar in the industry. Regarding papers that could be folded without cracking, the Kodak papers that were advertised for folding were indeed lightweight but the key was that there was no baryta coating -- that is what cracked. Other manufactures used this same process for folding papers.

24. paul_c5x4

paul_c5x4 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Just scored some paper that is just a little out of date. Barnet Bar-Gas, Agfa Brovira, Gevaert Orthobrom, along with a selection of Ilford and Kodak Bromide papers - One is a white fine lustre single weight which might be a close match for the stuff you are looking for.

I'm going to try some this evening just to see if it is any good after nearly sixty years of unknown storage conditions.