looking for 16 x 20 trays

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by KEK, Jan 21, 2008.

1. KEK

KEK Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just purchased some 16 x 20 trays and they just fit a 16 x 20 print. No wiggle room at all. I'm going to return them but can't seem to find anything to replace them with. I believe Paterson are about the same size and cesco are out of my price point. I'd go to 20 x 24 but my sink won't handle that size so I'm looking for a 16 x 20 with a little extra room.

Thanks for any help

Kevin

2. steelydam

steelydam Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I remember reading somebody else's post recently that you can buy large plastic trays at Home Depot or Lowe's in the cement mixing section, I assume they'd be a lot cheaper too. If you confirm this to be true, please report back with your findings!

3. jeroldharter

jeroldharter Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  4. Stephen Frizza

Stephen Frizza Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    DAM 1970 this is totally true! I use them in my lab hehehe, also the deep kitty litter trays. much much much cheaper option.
    in australia I would recommend Wool Worths, Bunnings etc for them.

5. Dan Dozer

Dan Dozer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Kevin,

I use the home depot cement mixing trays for my Platinum/Pallidium printing (8 x 20) but they probably won't work for your 16 x 20 silver prints. The bottom dimension of the trays is about 15" x 21" and the top dimension is about 16" x 25". The sides on two ends have about a 2" radius curve which is a bit of a problem and the sides slope out a little. Good thing about them is they only cost about $6 a piece.

6. ricksplace

ricksplace Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use wallpaper trays and see-saw the paper through the trays. They use less solution and take up less space. I use a full size tray for washing.

7. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I use seed trays from B&Q (UK equivalent of Home Depot I assume). Make sure you don't get the type with holes in the bottom though!

Steve.

8. jp80874

jp80874 Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    If you don't mind lightly used, I found someone in the local camera club (Cleveland, OH) had accumulated equipment to be sold to raise money for the club. His sources were the estates of former members and those living who had switched from film to digital. Since the club had gone mostly digital, film stuff was CHEAP and taking up needed space. Over time I have gotten some plastic and then replaced with stainless trays for 16x20 and 20x24. Another source has been our own APUG classified section.

John Powers