Looking for a 16x20 4 bladed easel

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by rjas, Aug 27, 2006.

1. rjas

rjas Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    This isn't a question on which one to buy, as I've settled on the Saunders 16x20 universal (or the v-track if I can find one at a good price) but WHERE to get one? I've bought one off ebay and when it arrived it wasn't in such great shape even though it looked pretty new so I sent it back. I think that an easel might be something I'd want to buy new, or off a respectable member. Can anyone reccomend me a place that may have better prices than B&H? Or a member on here that may have one they want to sell? (upgrading to v-track or a 20x24?) It's a long shot but worth trying.

2. photobum

photobum Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    rjas, About a year ago I went through the same thing. I was looking for a 20x24. This gloom and doom about the death of film and darkrooms for some reason does not apply to easels. Nor does it apply to a larger dry mount press. I'm now looking for a Seal 210 or bigger.

It's weird, you can buy a $4,000. enlarger used for $500.or even free to haul it away.

I'm sorry to say that unless you are very lucky you have to spend the big bucks, retail or e-bay. If you find a secret source please let me know.

3. rjas

rjas Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Did check around and freestylephoto seems to be the cheapeast, plus more reasonable shipping than B&H. Might have to bite the bullet on this one!

4. eric

eric Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What was wrong with the easel? Saunders has really good support. They have all the parts.

5. wfe

wfe Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good luck, I bid on five on them on eBay and all five I lost to what I feel were extremely high prices. Well over 50% of the cost of a new one.

Regards,
    Bill

6. eric

eric Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I guess I was really really lucky on mine. The seller said the piston hinge was broken, got a GREAT price, called Saunders, and they sent me a replacement (actually, the piston was decommisioned and this was a replacement for it) for like $12 bucks.

7. rjas

rjas Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Was rusted and blades weren't straight, the description and pics led me to believe otherwise. Sent it back at senders cost or I woulda just kept it because shipping was too high. I really want that 16x20 v-track! theres one on ebay for over 50% of original price right now.

8. raucousimages

raucousimages Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have seen some realy beat up easles, they are just no fun to work on. I sugest to just buy new if you can. An easle even slightly out of alignment will give you fits.

9. Jon Shiu

Jon Shiu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Just fyi the blade alignment can be readjusted via two bolts at the base of each blade.

Jon

10. raucousimages

raucousimages Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    But bent is bent. Many easels on ebay are just bad even though they look good to the eye. Warped, bent, cracked and plain screwed up. There is something to be said for purchasing new and not having to deal with someone elses problem no matter how low prices on used gear are. If you are buying used there is a reason someone is selling it.

11. f/stopblues

f/stopblues Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I tried to bid on a 16x20 Saunders with a broken piston not long ago and was outbid, dangit! I blame you! :wink: I settled on an 11x14 though. I'm sure I'll be in the market again sooner than later though. It certainly was difficult to find any reasonable easels.

12. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mike Kirwan, who is MikeK here, and has just stareted the thread "My First Art Show" has a 4 blade 16x20 easel listed as being for sale on his website. Here is a link:

Mike Kirwan's "For Sale" list

13. dancqu

dancqu Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Why the popularity of four blade easels? Saunders'
    Single Size more nearly fit my needs and have steel
    drop down frames. The speed type easels would do
    me save for the loose paper fit.

I understand that Beselers use steel blades. The
    aluminums on my Saunders leave me very
    unimpressed. Dan

14. Jon Shiu

Jon Shiu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Saunders uses stainless steel for blades, I believe.

Jon

15. rjas

rjas Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ended up buying a Saunders 11x14 V-track for $107 USD shipped (exactly 1/2 of the price of a new one less shipping from freestyle.) I took a gamble again but this one is supposed to be just a year old and I've read that the V-track are some of the best easels made. I'll probably get a 16x20 or even a 20x24 easel easel in the future but I don't really have any plans for bigger than 11x14 until a couple projects are done.
    its nuts, when I first started looking, those universal saunders easels (14x17 and 11x14) were going for $30-$40 and I thought I'd wait around for one that looked mint. Two weeks later I check ebay and even ragged beat up looking ones are selling for over $100, just for the regular universal ones!

16. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you're going to stick to standard paper sizes then get some 1/2 mdf or birch plywood and some 1/2" x1/8" aluminum stock. Cut the wood slightly larger, lay down your paper, put down some foam mounting tape around three edges, stick the strips of aluminium on top and voila, you've got a cheap easel. The thickness of the mounting tape leaves enough room for the paper to slide under. About $20 tops. It's what i use for 16x20 and 10x20.

vinny

17. rjas

rjas Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    great idea. Do you find that it's hard to get square borders?

18. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think you have to look and wait because I got a Saunders 16X20 and an 11X14 on eBay some time back with very low bids. Like anything they are out there but you have to be patient. Mine are in new condition with no rust and straight blades. I have used speed easels also and they are fine but the edges can curl up and there is no cropping of course.

Regards,
    Curt

19. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As long as the aluminum strips are perfectly square i think you'd have
    square borders. I trim my prints before mounting so that doesn't apply as much to me.

Attached Files: