Looking for a 30x40 drum processor

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by stevewillard, Dec 15, 2007.

1. stevewillard

stevewillard Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I currently have a 30x40 drum processor made by Photographic Consolidated Industries. It consists of a base unit that rotates the drum back an forth like a JOB drum processor and a drum that is the size of a small barrel for processing 30 x40 prints. I believe the machine was used by people making cibrachrome prints. The company no longer exists.

I am looking for a backup one. Does anyone know where I can get one or have one they are willing to sell?

Thanks for any considerations

-Stephen

2. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Steve
    wish I could help you,
    I am looking to process large sheets of film not paper.

can you develop film with your unit??

3. stevewillard

stevewillard Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Bob,

I do not see any reason why you could not develop film as well. You may have to glue some plastic vertical slots in the drum to hold the film in place. This would keep the film from sliding around which can cause uneven development. I did this with my JOBO 3005 8x10 drums to hold 4x10 film in place. It worked great. JOBO also makes a tank for developing 20x24 prints, but by adding vertical slots to it you could develop film in it of different sizes.

Hope this helps.

4. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Hi Steve

I have a 16x20 film unit for the jobo and it has an insert so that chems get to the back of the film.
    Boy do I hope you come up with a good solution as it would make my life much easier on a project I want to do.
    I got a quote on a processor to dip and dunk the price is astronomical .

Bob

5. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I remember back in the 1970's a photographer friend of mine, in the same line of work, (Commercial Photography) had a big floor standing semi-automatic processor that used a big drum, or variety of drums, can't remember which. I don't remember the name, but the name Colenta comes to mind, but I could be, and probably am mistaken on the brand name.

6. sanking

sanking Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Bob,

This is just an opinion, but I suspect that the major market for high quality digital negatives on film is in the 20X24 and smaller sizes. And you can find drums (Unicolor, Beseler, Simmard, Cibachrome, Doran Enterprises) that were originally marketed for processing color prints in sizes up to 20X24. 8X10, 11X14 and 16X20 drums were quite popular and you see them for sale often on ebay or in photo auctions. I have picked up two 20X24 drums which I use for developing my 20X24 film, one made by Doran Enterprises, the other by Simmard (in Canada at that).

To use you need a motor base, and these also are widely available in the used market.

Sandy

7. gordrob

gordrob Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I may have what you are looking for - made by Consolidated Photographic Industries - a CPI 40. If you are interested send me a PM

Gord

8. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    But Sandy

For clients I am sure you are right.and I feel confident with the 20x24 drum capability.

But I want to separate my colour 6x12 negs to do colour carbon over platinum.
    I bought the 40inch plate burner for this specific purpose.
    I will not stop until I can process rotary 46inch max by 30inch FP4.

Do you think that it will be possible to do my work in trays and still have the repeatablity for separated film. I suspect if I get the calibration on the lambda, the following separated film will fall in place, with the possibility of minor exposure changes at the printing stage???

Also , I have heard of people printing on aluminum, or a very rigid platform so that there is no registration paper shrinkage with multiple hits. I know Bentley prints to a melemex base in reverse and then transfers the whole package to rag paper .I would resort tho this but any thoughts on direct to substrate multiple hits on very large prints.... 20 x40 and 30 x40 ????

9. sanking

sanking Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Bob,

I figure you know enough about good practice to make good negatives for color separation work with tray processes.

As for carbons on other surfaces, have a look at the text and prints of Clint Eley's work by Gerard Aniere in my article on color carbon printing in the current issue of Silvershotz. This work is on aluminium, and I suspect for some of the same reasons that made you think of it.

Sandy

10. dr5chrome

dr5chrome Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    ..we process to 20x24 in our dip & dunk via a special made rack. ..not quite understanding this print output you are needing.. explain?

Where on earth do you get fp4 this big? Special order i suppose..

dw

www.dr5.com

11. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Hi Dave

I am hoping to separate colour negative film, cmyk , and use these films to print on aluminum or some very rigid surface that will not shrink in multiple hits. I want to use the k for basically the contrast and density in black and white and withe the cmy films in register over print colour pigment. My goal is to produce permanent colour prints that may/or maynot be totally real looking.
    I am working exclusevly in Lab and RGB and the possiblities I believe are endless.
    The good Amigos at Harmon with enough arm twisting will be my source of large rolls 30Inch FP4 which will be my film of choice.

Sandy is correct that I should be able to control the results well enough in my darkroom with trays, I am only concerened that if I was to make separations off the Lambda for other end alternative processes I would need a autosystem to give consistant results.

I did have a dip dunk 40x60 inch processor design and projected cost estimate. I am looking at over 100k to do this.
    If I ever hit it rich , maybe I would consider having the processor made, stranger things have happened in my life.
    I have a 40x30 flip top unit here in my shop to make these prints.

Anyways my post is starting to be too Hybrid so when I start making the films and making prints I will be posting the workflow over on Hybrid.com.

12. Deckled Edge

Deckled Edge Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Sandy,

How do you handle 7x17? Are you doing that format with rotary development? If so, must one customize a 16x20 or other size tank with dividers, clips, etc? Has anyone heard of a 7x17 tank?

After 30 years of tray developement, I decided to try some automation. The 11x14 is straightforward, but I'm stymied on the 7x17.

Glenn

13. Deckled Edge

Deckled Edge Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I answered my own question when I received a 16x20 Chromega drum complete with the 3 rod inserts and 6 clip-on film stops. The Chromega drum has multiple slots to receive the rods, and will hold 2 sheets of 7x17. The clip-on stops keep the film from sliding in the drum. I got this on fee-Bay and it came without instructions, so I had to guess at the solution volumes. I've used 400 ml, but this may be too much.
    Is anyone using a similar set-up for 7x17? Any help would be appreciated.