Looking for a AP Mentor/Teacher

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by sgtfrey, Aug 31, 2006.

1. sgtfrey

sgtfrey Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello, my son (age 12) has recently become interested in Analog Photography, he understand the basic concepts of photography but the cost of developing his film is getting expensive. I am looking for someone in the Dallas area of Oregon (or Salem/Monmouth) who would be willing to be a Photography Mentor for him and teach him how to work a Darkroom (and possibly help with Photography techniques also). I would like him to learn and experience this before I go through the expense of setting him up with his own darkroom. (His aspiration right now is to someday be a photographer for National Geographic or a freelancer).
    I realize 12 may be a young age for this since but I would like to get him the experience so that even if he doesn't become a professional photographer he can at least do this as a hobby.
    If you think you can help me please feel free to e-mail me at eric.frey@or.ngb.army.mil (please put APUG in the Subject line).

Thanks
    Eric Frey :confused:

2. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    good for you.

i am sorry, i am not in that area, i would love to do this.

i started developing film in the basement when i was 10 years old, and the magic remains after many many many years.

3. reellis67

reellis67 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I too would love to help, but I'm not in the area. I think that it would be a great service to have a listing of people willing to contribute time and experience to people looking for a mentor like this. Perhaps we should look into something akin to the darkroom rental thread where people could post offering/seeking analog mentors.

- Randy

4. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    Have you checked with any of the local community colleges? Even if "they" think he is too young to enroll in a DR class - perhaps you could contact the Instructor directly about one-on-one mentoring?

5. mtbbrian

mtbbrian Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hoo Ahh to you there dad!
    I'd love to help out too, for lots of reasons.
    One of them being that I am a Soldier too.
    Good luck in your search to help your son get into photography.
    You might do a search to see if there are any photography clubs in your area, be it online or at a local photo lab, art gallery or library.
    What about his school? Does it have any photography class at all?
    SSG Brian Schiele
    USA, UTARNG

6. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Robert8x10 is in the Portland area, and heads up a large photog group. PM him and see if he knows of anyone.

7. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As Aggie Said, contact Robert8x10 and also send a couple of note to the community colleges in the area, I know Mount Hood Community college still offers a traditional photography class for credit, and their instructors live in various areas around you..

Dave

8. dancqu

dancqu Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Camera equipment can be expensive. Darkroom gear and
    materials for print making can be expensive. The equipment
    and chemistry for film processing costs near nothing.

BTW, I live in the Salem area. You can PM me via APUG. Dan