Looking for a DIY long lasting paper developer

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by EdoNork, Nov 29, 2012.

1. EdoNork

EdoNork Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hello:

I have been reading some APUG threads and it looks like what I'm looking for is ANSCO 130, but here in EU glycin price is a nono.

I have been suggested MOERSCH ECO 4812 and it meets too the requirements, but I prefer the DIY alternative, if the is one.

Any ideas?

2. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Are you concerned about the capacity of the working solution or its useful life or the keeping properties of the stock solution?

Ansco 130 is a nice developer but I don't think that its advantages compensate for the difficulty and price in obtaining Glycin.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2012
  3. EdoNork

EdoNork Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Sorry, useful life of working solution.

4. Rafal Lukawiecki

Rafal Lukawiecki Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am based in Ireland, and I get glycin from Photographers Formulary, without any difficulties. The remaining ingredients are easier to source locally, but you might consider the simplicity of adding a few items to a US purchase, if it makes no difference to shipping costs.

5. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You might consider using one of Ryuji Suzuki's paper developer formulas, DS-14 or DS-15. He used them for several weeks in a slot processor so they appear long lived. Both are based on ascorbic acid and use Dimezone S or Metol as the other developing agent. The formulas should be in the APUG archives.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2012
  6. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Also consider looking at Patrick (Gadjet) Gainer's past posts on phenidone and vitamin C and TEA. Getting TEA may be a challenge in th EU though.

They don't need to be long lasting in working form, because they are kind of like an HC 110 film developer syrup , but are a paper developer syrup also.

I mixed it up a few years ago, and used it first on film - nice looking negs- and then varriedthe alkalinity and used almost the same stuff to devlop prints

7. Patrick Robert James

Patrick Robert James Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I have had good luck with Dimezone/Phenidone and Ascorbic Acid developers in the last few years. I mix my own but there is a formula for E-72 on the jackspc's site- http://www.jackspcs.com/pde72.htm which looks reasonably alike to the Suzuki developers mentioned above.

I use more carbonate, and Benzotriazole in place of KBr. Mix the Dimezone/Phenidone in Propylene Glycol to make it easier to measure. 10g goes a long way. I have read that Dimezone lasts longer in solution for what it is worth. I have gone more than a few months without printing and a half full container of used developer was still fine.

8. EdoNork

EdoNork Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have no problems getting any compound glycin aside. Also, I have equipment to measure very tiny amounts of solids and liquids.
    The key is find a developer with a working solution that keeps properties for 5 or 6 months. I will be making 3 litre batches and I don't want to waste it.
    I will take a look at the phenidone and ascorbic acid approach.

9. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    try a DIYformula for dektol aka d72!it lsts forever and 90 days.

Attached Files:

10. EdoNork

EdoNork Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I has been told that Dektol dies very fast at work dilutions, isn't it?

11. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This has not been my experience. However any developer will change as you approach its recommended useful capacity. This is why it is important to keep track of how much paper has been passed thru it.

12. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    has not been my experience with dektol either. i change it when it turns dark brown or starts to get smelly.

13. nworth

nworth Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Are you talking about long tray life or long life of the stock solution? Most stock solutions keep pretty well. I use Defender 54-D, and it keeps for up to 6 months in a partially filled bottle. Ansco 130 has a good reputation, but it seems to fade after about three months. I suspect D-73 (Dektol) is about as good. Formulary BW-65, which is an Ansco 130 variant, divides the developing agent from the alkali to achieve long life (about four to five months, in my experience).

14. pdjr1991

pdjr1991 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As a student i don't have the time to develop all the time and i sometimes go without using chemicals for months. I bought the Moersch and love it. My year old bottle is still kickin!

15. john_s

john_s Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm not sure that DS-15 is so long lived. In this text that I copied from his web site before it disappeared, he seems to be saying that DS-14 is a better keeper, given that it's suitable for the Nova which most people don't like emptying and refilling too often:

<start quote>
    DS-14 is an excellent standard print developer. It is a modern formulation using safer alternatives to hydroquinone, and it performs like classic standard print developers. This developer is recommended for users who use Kodak Dektol, Kodak D-72, AGFA Neutol Plus (discontinued), Ilford Multigrade Developer, and other standard print developers.

DS-14 is suitable for processing in tray, tank and Nova slot processors, and standard developing time is 1.5 to 2 minutes. DS-14 can be replenished by top-off method. Use DS-14 itself, minus potassium bromide, as the replenisher. If colder tone is desired, 0.05g to 0.3g benzotriazole can be
    added to DS-14.

DS-15 is suitable for tray processing, and processing time varies with paper stock. The bromide in DS-15 can be increased or decreased for desired result.
    <end quote>

I mix Ilford ID-78 for use in my Nova and it seems to last well.