Looking for a good light meter

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by EASmithV, Mar 15, 2009.

1. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I shoot everything from 135 to 8x10, and It's time I upgraded to a nice light meter. I was wondering if you could recommend a meter based on the following criteria:

I need a meter that can tank through really bad weather and a lot of abuse. I want something that has the capability to do both incident and reflective light metering. It also has to be able to be a flash meter (possibly studio lighting). Also, I'm trying to keep it somewhere in the range of $300 and under.

Thanks a million.

2. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Although I never exposed it to weather I would recommend the Sekonic L358C for flash and studio work, outdoors as well. For the built like a tank and take it everywhere type, get an old Weston Master IV (or so). Should come with the invercone. Can't really flash/studio with it though.

3. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I used to have a Weston master IV, but the glass broke and fell inside and cut some fine wiring.

4. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  5. eunkefer

eunkefer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have been real happy with the JTL LM8.

6. chriscrawfordphoto

chriscrawfordphoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Sekonic L-508 is weathersealed and mine has taken a lot of abuse since I got it 8 yrs ago. I regularly get it rained on. Used ones sell under your budget. Has incident and built in zoom-spot meter (zooms from 10 to 1 degree, I always keep mine at the 1 deg. setting).

7. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Call me an idiot, but I love the Gossen Digiflash. It is overpriced, and will not win any ribbons in light meter contests, but it does what it needs to do, and is the most convenient to carry light meter I've used. It may not be built like a tank, but its size and cheap plastic case make it less likely to get damaged.

8. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2009
  9. Brandon D.

Brandon D. Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    '358

10. archphoto

archphoto Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Looking at the spec's and as you sugested yourself: the L 358 seems to fit the bill.
    Sekonic has a good reputation.

Peter

11. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And looking at the pricing at Adorama I woud suggest a reputable seller on ebay, et al. Not to rub any faces in it but I sold one early last year to a lady in Minnesota for $175. A 358 that is. Deals are out there. But that 358 is a lower price than when I purchased mine around 2000.

12. white.elephant

white.elephant Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I third or fourth the suggestions for a 358. I've used my Sekonic meter in all sorts of crap, and I love it. And their customer service is great as well.

13. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What about a Sekonic L-758D? It has spot metering, incident, reflective, all the features that the 358 does, only the thing that throws me off is the "D". Supposedly this camera has been made with digital cameras in mind? What exactly does that mean?

14. craigclu

craigclu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A Sekonic that I have used is the lesser-known L-718. They seem quite affordable when they come up in the used market. Attached is the quick card showing its basic features. I've got a pdf of the manual if you wish to study any more of the particulars. It's a very intuitive-to-use, solid performer.

Attached Files: