Looking for a 'handmade' FB paper

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Nigel Harley, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Nigel Harley

Nigel Harley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am looking for a FB paper that is very 'fibreish'. ie. has a handmade feel and that has a rough edge to it. Or if I was to tear the edges would give my print a rough edge.

Any suggestions?

2. monosnaps

monosnaps Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Fotospeed lith is a cream based paper that can be used as a standard printing paper. It can be torn and creased and will take a lot of abuse. You can actually roll up a wet print into a small ball and unfold it again without damaging the emulsion. Here is a sample of a fibre print i made this way.
    [​IMG]

3. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Find your favorite watercolor paper and apply liquid emulsion or make your own liquid emulsion or try an alternative process like Vandyke, cyanotype, Ziatype, or platinum/palladium.

4. Martin Aislabie

Martin Aislabie Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    How on earth did you find this out? :confused:

I treat my prints with as much TLC as I can manage, the thought of scrunching them up just for a laugh to see what effects its might have has never crossed my mind

Martin :smile:

5. CBG

CBG Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mural paper used to be that way, designed to take the abuse from handling large soggy sheets of paper.

I think the suggestion to use liquid emulsion on a paper with the surface you want is the best way to get a hand made look - that is - to hand make it.

C

6. CBG

CBG Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    By the way, what toning etc was used to get that lovely print color? Very appropriate for that image.

C

7. Stan160

Stan160 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Fomatone 542 and 532 are the closest thing to what you're asking for that I've seen, same surface texture, but 542 has a warmer base tint. Unfortunately they are discontinued, but you might be able to find stocks if you search around.

There are "II" versions of both papers. Not tried any yet, but from what I've heard they have a smoother texture so probably not as good for your requirements.

Ian

8. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have hand coated emulsion on velour, watercolor, smooth and canvas among others. Part of the trick is to coat on a paper with no baryta layer. That is what will crack more easily when you subject it to stres.

PE

9. Gary Holliday

Gary Holliday Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I believe Bergger Fine Art Portrait (Silver Supreme) is what you are looking for. Thick and has a textured watercolour paper feel to it. The only one that has survived.

An interesting way to add texture to Fotospeed Lith...revelation!!!

10. Nigel Harley

Nigel Harley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you all. This is my Christmas project. I agree ref the liquid emulsion route for the ultimate hand-made route - but I will not achieve the density ranges I am looking for. A project for another day though. My ultimate aim is a handmade book of a portfolio of my prints.

Merry Christmas