Looking for a M39 lens. Need examples.

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by anon12345, Jun 21, 2010.

1. anon12345

anon12345 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looking for an M39 lens, or two. Examples desired.

I picked up a Canon III and would like to try some Russian manufactured M39 lenses. I've already ordered an Industar N-61 for testing. I'm really looking for something near 50mm, with decent sharpness, and minimal distortion. Are there any lenses I should look at specifically? Any examples for lenses on net would also be great. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2010
  2. vedmak

vedmak Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I have an Industar-22 that is pretty descent, Industar 50, and Jupiter 8 are not as good as 61 ld.
    Also Russian lenses had some quality control issues that really exacerbated in the 1980s, so look at the serial and pick up 1950-1970.

3. Fotoguy20d

Fotoguy20d Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The Industar-22 can be (quality variability dependant) quite a good lens - I don't really see a difference between my copy and my Elmar. Will a Russian lens work on a Canon body? My Canon 135mm f3.5 works fine on my IIIc but does not work on my Zorki I - something to do with the shape of the rnagefinder mechanism - I don't know if there's an issue going the other way.

4. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  5. anon12345

anon12345 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think I will be looking at some more Industar's. :D

I received the N-61 yesterday and it fits the Canon just fine. The rangefinder works and the scale on the lens appears accurate when focused. I'm running film through it today.

I recently owned an uncoated Elmar 5cm on a different camera and was very disappointed with the results from that lens. I then had the Jupiter 3 on a Zorki and I would have to rate that one as "just o-kay". I seem to be a magnet for mediocre glass.

6. Anscojohn

Anscojohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It is my understanding the Industar 61l--the one with the 'radio-active" glass--is consistently the best. The one I have on my FED is first-rate.

7. df cardwell

df cardwell Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You've got a very nice 59 year old camera. How is the rangefinder ? Recently calibrated ? Are you sure the rfdr is correct ?

If so, you can start playing with lenses. Do you believe Russian LTM lenses can function properly on a Leica/Canon system ?

Are the lenses you are trying focusing where you want them to ?

I suspect your issues have much to camera maintenance, camera abuse (Oh, I can probably fix THIS !), and the litany of difficulties associated with Soviet lenses.

Check to see if the camera focuses to infinity, and to 1.5 meters. Is that where the lens is focusing ?

Good luck.

8. anon12345

anon12345 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You're funny. I've only had this thing a couple days. :D

I picked it up at a local camera repair shop that is going out of business. Most likely one of those that a customer failed to pickup following a repair. The camera body in-itself is quite irrelevant, having cost only ten bucks. But, having the M39 mount it might accommodate some of the lenses I'd be interested in testing. Of course if a specific lens is not going to function on this body, that could be valuable information.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2010
  9. anon12345

anon12345 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the example. After looking over your website I found myself inspired.

10. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you for compliment :smile:

11. Alan Johnson

Alan Johnson Subscriber

12. anon12345

anon12345 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am very pleased with the Industar N-61, the lens which I had previously ordered. It appears to give both good sharpness and contrast as desired. I was very surprised. Based on the info everyone has kindly provided, I believe I will acquire a 61LD, the 22, and then a Jupiter 8, in that order. But, my camera curtain needs a work-over. All the negatives look as though I have been shooting the constellation Sagittarius. :D

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1033/4726830886_5d38d5a362_b.jpg
    http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1021/4726183867_290749f5cf_b.jpg

I will share some examples from the N-61 soon.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2010
  13. Alan Johnson

Alan Johnson Subscriber