Looking for a modern flash setup for Crown Graphic

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Perry Way, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Perry Way

Perry Way Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Like the title says, I've got a Crown Graphic. It's a 4x5 top rangefinder. The flash bracket from the ancient days of light sabers has been removed. I've got a Minolta flash. I'm looking for a cheap rig to allow me to shoot portrait and landscape mode with flash about 8 inches to a foot above the lens in either configuration. I don't want a monster setup. I want something light, strong, and able to be set up and removed quickly. I see on B&H site, there's thousands of items in the flash bracket category and well, I'm hoping someone will have some pearls of wisdom to cut down my time so I can find what I need and buy it.

Thanks APUG! This community is the best!

2. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. Perry Way

Perry Way Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. Perry Way

Perry Way Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I broke down and made a phone call to B&H sales staff, asking for advice. Out of all the many items they have for sale, which one would fit a Crown Graphic? I was met back with incredible resistence, and no actual help from B&H. I believe the guy I talked with was fishing for a way to upsell me to a digital camera setup. Instead of assisting me, he said it was next to impossible to hand hold a 4x5 Crown Graphic, in other words questioning my sanity.

I doubt very much if I will ever call B&H again after that!

Meanwhile I'm still looking for a bracket setup, and hoping someone has one that works well and can point to me where to go buy one also!

Thanks!

5. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hi perry

if you can find yourself a bachrach bracket you can screw it into your side tripod hole and have a flash off to the side
    like a modern version of the star wars lights. for years i did this with a lumedyne.

if you can find out if the barber flexi arm has a screw on the base ( under the male end )
    it might work for you ( if not, is there an adapter that allows you to convert the shoe to a screw ! )
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/566496-REG/Barber_Tech_FLA_Flexi_Arm.html
    the barber would be PERFECT ...

if not, an inexpensive L or straight bracket, just flip the screw around.
    on ebay ( search "flash bracket " ) there is a c-shaped bracket that looks like it might be perfect
    as long as you can flip the screw ...

if you don't have a PC cord on your flash
    there is a pc to hotshoe adapter that looks like a hot shoe but has a cord attached.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=89982&Q=&is=REG&A=details

strobeo frames cost a fortune, by comparison to these things, tops they might run you 40$ for the two things :smile:

good luck !
    john

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2012
  6. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  7. Perry Way

Perry Way Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi John,

I did a quick search on the name and found they have a wide array of brackets just like Stroboframe and other makers.

I have a grip/bracket like this for my RB67: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/79267-REG/Lindahl_170915_Trigger_Grip.html

I'm seriously thinking at this point, going to Home Depot, buy a small piece of angle iron, drill holes in it to match the holes on the bottom of the flash bracket part of this grip which you can unscrew, then drill holes into my body and mount the angle iron direct to the body on the upper right side of the camera body (as in shooting the camera). I thought of this first, because I have to be cheap (inexpensive) right now due to economy, but also I didn't really want to drill additional holes in my body but at this point I'm thinking that's the thing to do. None of these brackets have dimensions on them on the B&H site. There's no objective way to compare one over another. You can't just decide on the basis of how it's advertised (35mm, digital, medium format, yadda...)

8. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hah! Impossible to hand hold a 4x5 Crown Graphic? I guess most of the images from the 20th century didn't exist, and Joe Rosenthal was some kind of fake.

What a tool.

9. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There's always flashbulbs, if you really want that retro press look.