Looking for a new Canon (maybe)

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by cheeseds, Feb 3, 2012.

1. cheeseds

cheeseds Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    My Current AE-1 program that I have used for 6ish years (it's been in the family much longer) maybe non-functional, I'll need to pop in a new battery to test it. I have a small collection of FD lenses; 28mm/2.8, 50mm/1.8, 75-200/4.5, and a 2x converter. It would only make sense to get another FD mount Canon. I guess what I'm trying to get at is do I go for a nice, quality AE-1 series again, or a slightly less quality higher end SLR?

It should be noted that I'm a 22 year old dishwasher, needless to say the words "disposable" and "income" generally don't occupy the same sentence.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2012
  2. Mackinaw

Mackinaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "A"series cameras are a dime-a-dozen so you can choose between an AE-1, AT-1, A-1, AV-1 and probably a few more. If you like your AE-1 Program you'll probably like the A-1 more. Or you can try one of the "T" series cameras. Maybe a T-70 or T-90.

Or you can go manual and really enjoy photography with an FTb or F-1. Built the old fashioned way and, outside of a meter, don't need batteries. You can pound nails with them too.

Jim B.

3. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ^+1^

Jeff

4. cheeseds

cheeseds Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Mackinaw, Thanks for the suggestions, any of the A series fall well within my price range and an FTb being at the upper end with the F-1 being a pipe dream at the moment. I just need to get a couple more paychecks in before I make a decision.

5. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

I can assimilate to the life of a dishwasher: it was my first job at night at a Freemasons Hospital (I was instructed to behave according to the mores and values of Freemasonry!) while studying uni!

"...a slightly less quality higher-end SLR?" Perhaps have a look at the uber-reliable T90 which will keep you amused for years if it has been well looked after. Takes FD lenses and still a modern, respected design picked up by the later EOS 1- (non-FD) series and refined.

6. dnjl

dnjl Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Cheeseds, the A-1 is a very nice upgrade coming from the AE-1. I went that route some time ago. Just make sure that you get a body without the typical "mirror-cough", so that you don't need to spend extra money on a CLA.

7. blockend

blockend Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    As an owner of all the A-Series and two of the T-Series and bearing in mind your budget, I'd opt for an AV-1 or a T70. The A-1 is a nice camera but many (most?) seem to have the cough which will cost to have fixed. They're also fairly pricey at present. The T-90 is also a good camera but won't be cheap and has its own issues (EE warning and dying LCDs). The FTb is fine if you like metal bodied cameras but the original battery system is defunct.

I shot dozen of rolls last summer in a pair of AV-1 cameras and they never missed a beat, I don't remember exactly what I paid, probably £20-25 with FD 50mm 1.8. in near mint condition. The black version is rarer but pretty. The T-70 is good if you like automation but the film advance is slow and noisy and the camera ugly, but it is astonishingly cheap in the current market and does have a kind of 80s chic. Or you could hunt down another AE-1 if you like shutter priority.

8. Pumalite

Pumalite Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  9. hectorpaljr

hectorpaljr Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Where are you cheeseds. I have an AV1 looking for a new home. This camera was in regular use until my elderly aunt (the owner) passed away three years ago.

10. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had Canon 7S and a fixed lens rangefinder but had really used much Canon in the way of SLRw. But I was attacted to the inexpensive FD lens and bought a T90, couple of hundred U.S $, it is a great camera. I have not used the T 70 but they also appear in good supply and at a good price. Downside not many parts for repairs.

11. gmikol

gmikol Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I just ordered myself a T90, as well. Should be here in a day or 2. For $100 from a reputable dealer, how can you beat it?

Having shot EOS for almost 15 years, I always thought FD mount meant AE-1, A-1 or F1, etc. I didn't even know the T series existed until fairly recently. Contrary to some, I *like* all the bells and whistles on my 1V, so discovering an auto-load, auto-advance, evaluative-metering FD mount camera with a control wheel and everything is fantastic. And fast FD primes are way cheaper than fast EF primes.

--Greg

12. Nick Merritt

Nick Merritt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    $100 for a T90 is a great deal. An amazing camera -- totally solid and utterly reliable. Tremendously versatile metering. Runs on 4 AAs (!).

13. gmikol

gmikol Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yep...can't wait. Given its older design, does anybody know if it will work with AA NiMH's. The difference between 6V and 4.8V might be a killer. Not sure I'm willing to risk NiZn's (6.8V !).

--Greg

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Pumalite

Pumalite Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    T90's are great. I have 2; in case the magnets get glued again

16. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    The T90 is a terrible choice. They all, according to the repair tech I just communicated with, eventually experience the EE lockup. I had one. Newly serviced. Regularly used. Locked up. Here's his quote:

" Yes, these cameras did suffer from this problem shorthly after they were purchased, depending on how long it sat unused or how much it was used.

Steve"

17. cheeseds

cheeseds Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for every one's input, it is very much appreciated. I don't think ill be going with the any of the T series, I don't like the look or styling. I would prefer to go manual in film cameras, for all the gadgets and features I have a T3i. I don't think ill be getting an F-1 but there are some FTb's on ebay and KEH tht look good, the used departments of adorama and B and H seem to be a bit pricy. I realize they do have a defunct battery system but there are some specialty companies that sell the mercury cell batteries. If I can't afford an FTb, I'll settle with an A series and hope I don't catch the cough.

So what are the differences between all the A series? is there a reason i should save money and go with the an A series over an FTb?

18. Pumalite

Pumalite Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    FTb should be cheaper than an A-1

19. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I can't recommend the EF, FD body, enough. I think it's the best Canon SLR ever made, ever!... in the history of mankind.

It literally does everything you could ever want, except the option of interchangeable viewfinders.

MLU, self timer, mechanical shutter where it counts.. electric where it excels, very high sensitivity meter, double-exposure button, uses common batteries perfectly. Only downside is that it's big and heavy like an FTb or old F-1.

I got one on eBay with a 50mm 1.4 and 28mm 2.8 for $120.

20. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    No motor drive though!

21. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    drat..... good call!

22. semeuse

semeuse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    don't forget to check out the classifieds here at APUG. The gear is always well described and you're dealing in a friendly environment. And...you can find some pretty sweet deals.
    BTW - I happen to have a couple of A1 bodies that might be looking for a home (I retired them when I got my F1).

23. blockend

blockend Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The EF does seem like a good choice if you can find one, they're not the most common of cameras. The FTb is also nice, the only problem I have with mine is forgetting to turn off the meter. Neither lack anything in solidity. An underestimated camera is the AT-1, the manual cousin of the A-Series. It has all advantage of an electronic shutter taking available batteries with the flexibility of full exposure control. They're also very inexpensive.

24. cheeseds

cheeseds Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    holmburgers, after reading up on the FE I think I might just get that. all the features I want and more Thanks again for everyone input.

25. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Awesome to hear that! We have another convert... :joyful:

And side note; if you ever need it repaired, Ken Oikawa is the man to do it.

26. Pumalite

Pumalite Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They are easily serviced and they are great cameras. Besides being able to use FD lenses, that are cheap and plentiful.