Looking for a Nikon F6?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by jphendren, Nov 13, 2009.

1. jphendren

jphendren Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Anybody here know where to get one? I am looking for a mint copy with the box. I know that B&H has them new, but new is out of my budget. I've looked on eBay, and KEH, neither of those sources has one right now.

Jared

2. Java

Java Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Are you looking to buy only from the States?

If not Grays Of Westminister http://www.graysofwestminster.co.uk/ have a couple of 2nd hand in stock.

They will send to the US from UK think someone else on here bought from them this last week

3. jphendren

jphendren Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've sent Grays an e-mail regarding ordering internationally from them. We'll see what they say.

In the meantime, any other leads?

Jared

4. PeteZ8

PeteZ8 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The problem with buying one from out of the country is Nikon USA will not repair non Nikon USA serialed products. So even though the camera would not have a warranty anyway, any future repair or CLA would have to be sent out of the country, or at best, perhaps an authorized repair center, but I am not sure if they will work on imported products either.

5. jphendren

jphendren Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I found one with the MB-40 grip Adorama.com in condition E. Has anyone here ever purchased a used camera from Adorama? From Adorama's description of condition E, it sounds like it is not in quite the condition I was hoping for.

Jared

6. Chris Nielsen

Chris Nielsen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've only ordered one item from Adorama's used dept. The grading is definitely not in line with KEH. KEH's BGN = Adorama's EX sort of thing

7. jphendren

jphendren Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    "I've only ordered one item from Adorama's used dept. The grading is definitely not in line with KEH. KEH's BGN = Adorama's EX sort of thing"

Yeah, that is what I have read also. I think that I will steer clear of them. The more I look for one of these, the more I think that I will just stick with my EOS-1V. The F6 cost so much, and from what I have read, does not seem to offer anything more really. But for some reason I still want an F6 LOL.

Jared

8. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My sense from a number of relatively recent posts here is that Adorama has made positive changes to their used equipment department. In addition, they have actually started posting here regularly (Helen Oster) and seem to be both willing to acknowledge past problems, and motivated to both prevent new problems and correct any that may happen

It may be worthwhile to look at them again.

Matt

9. RidingWaves

RidingWaves Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    There is one in my local shop, with box in basically new condition for 1600. I've checked it out and its very nice, and the price is pretty good too. Let me know, I'm in Hawaii.

10. sky king

sky king Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I bought a used Nikon F5 from them a year and a half ago in "E+" condition. I also bought some lenses from KEH in "BGN" condition. The KEH stuff was in much better shape. I'll be going to KEH for my used stuff from now on.

11. jphendren

jphendren Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    "I bought a used Nikon F5 from them a year and a half ago in "E+" condition. I also bought some lenses from KEH in "BGN" condition. The KEH stuff was in much better shape. I'll be going to KEH for my used stuff from now on."

WOW!! I've ordered a few BGN pieces from KEH in the past, and returned them due to too much wear for my taste. I guess I will not be ordering from Adorama. I actually have purchased quite a bit of new equipment from Adorama over the years, their salesmen were quite rude. I remember back in the mid-90's right in the middle of a $1300 order the salesman telling me to call back as it was his lunch break. I still remember his name, I wonder if he still works there?

The more I read about the F6, the less I think that I need one. My Canon 1V seems to be as good, and costs quite a bit less.

Jared

12. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When you order from KEH, the equipment will be that grade [BGN, EX, LN, ...] or better. Sometimes when you order something that is BGN and they find when they go to ship it that the are out of BGN, they will then send something that is the next higher grade of the ordered equipment. That is why some BGN equipment looks EX- or EX.

Steve

13. jphendren

jphendren Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Any other leads? So far I've tried Adorama, B&H, eBay, and KEH. I seem to recall that there are used camera's listed in Shutterbug magazine, is this still so? I imagine one will pop up on eBay sooner or later, or maybe even KEH. Anybody here want to sell one?

Jared

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. FilmOnly

FilmOnly Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I avoid the NYC camera shops (B&H, Adorama, etc.). My experiences with KEH have been better than anywhere else. I use eBay less and less these days. If I were in your position, I would check Amazon or wait until KEH could procure an F6. You may try calling Nikon. In the calls I have made there (I even made one today), I have always been treated kindly. I, too, have been eyeing an F6. The price tag is all that stops me.

PS: The last time I thought about buying an F6 (this week), I not only considered my (limited) purchasing options, but also thought that my ideal purchase would be to buy a new unit that is already modified (or "pre-modified") to accept pre-AI lenses. Seek and you shall find...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2009
  16. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    With the lead time involved in publication, what you're looking for is probably loooong gone.

17. ajuk

ajuk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  18. jphendren

jphendren Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    "They not have it new?"

Sure they do, three to be exact. And two mint- bodies. I contacted Grays, and they notified me that they do not charge VAT on second hand cameras. Shipping to the U.S. would be around 75 pounds, or around $125. I tried to calculate U.S. customs duty, but their site is a quagmire of information. It mentioned that some items purchased may not have any duty if valued under $2,000, or at least that is the way that I interpreted it. I believe that ordering from Grays would very expensive, so I will wait and see what I can find here in the U.S.

They had 5-6 six F6's when I started this thread, now only 2! Nobody can keep these things in stock, they seem to sell like hot-cakes. You'd think that Nikon would keep making them if they sell that well.

Jared

19. nicefor88

nicefor88 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Try ebay Germany and ebay United Kingdom, F6 surface now and then. But as you probably know, the F6 was produced in a small number (unlike the F3, F4, F5) hence harder to find than the previous Fs.
    Good luck,

20. Karl K

Karl K Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I don't trust Adorama's ratings on used equipment

I bought a used Minolta lens from Adorama described as "Excellent". It was "Ugly" by KEH's rating. Adorama did take it back for a full refund, however. Adorama over-rates their used stuff, IMHO.

21. ksugden

ksugden Member

Hi I have an F6 with MB40 and Kirk L bracket that I was about to put on E Bay owend from new about 75 films through it all boxed and close to mint its a UK camera so same repair problems as buying from Grays but considerbly cheaper looking for around £1000 plus postage send my your Email address and I can Send you some images

Regards Keith

22. sangetsu

sangetsu Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    You should visit Japan some time, the F5 and F6 are much less expensive here (used). The shop down the street has a mint F6 with instructions and such (but no box) for 100,000 yen (or $1000). They also have a 24-70/2.8 AF-S lens (in it's original box) to go with it for an additional $1000. If that isn't enough for you, they also have a 70-200/2.8 AF-S mint, and in the box for only $1300.

It looks the the F5 will seen be hitting the sub-$300 barrier here soon. For function and value I would take the F5 over the F6, but for being a more compact/full featured shooter, the F6 is a great camera.

23. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi,

can you give us some links - there is a chance I will visit Japan next year. What about prices of F and F2?

24. jphendren

jphendren Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    "You should visit Japan some time, the F5 and F6 are much less expensive here (used)."

Are there any good Japanese online places like Grays of Westminster? For some reason it seems like every F6 that I find is in Europe, there do not seem to be many for sale in the U.S.

Jared

25. jphendren

jphendren Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  26. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For this - use Rikaichan plugin for firefox :smile: