Looking for a quality & affordable CLA

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by holmburgers, Nov 23, 2009.

1. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi all,

I just got into LF & I've got 3 shutters/lenses that I'd like to get up to spec. The shutters are in good shape, just gunky from years of non-use. I'd love to use someone local (I'm in Lawrence, KS, so KC would be great), but I'm just soliciting information on anyone who does good CLA's in the US.

I'd like to spend as little as possible, so someone who does it as a hobby or something would be just fine.

By the way, what is the going rate for a LF shutter CLA?

Thanks!

2. Doc W

Doc W Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Contact Paul Ebel: paulebel44@yahoo.com

I can't remember how much he charges for a CLA but his prices are very reasonable, his work is top-drawer and his turnaround time is pretty quick. Very recently, he repaired my 14 inch Commercial Ektar which had got soaked in a rainstorm. The shutter blades were rusted and the shutter was frozen. He fixed it like it was new for around $100 including new parts and shipping. He also fixed the shutter on a 90mm Super Angulon that local repairmen told me was not fixable. Also under $100 includiing new parts and shipping.

3. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Another vote for Paul Ebel

Paul Ebel Lens Service
    PO Box 141
    Menomonie, WI 54751
    tel: 651-335-8759
    paulebel44@yahoo.com

He has worked on one shutter a month for me over the last three months just because I wanted to spread the cost. I plan to send a fourth after New Years. A straight CLA on the Ilex #5 in my avatar was $67 plus shipping and insurance.

This is his full time business and he works in a business like manner, or very well in my experience. I would be concerned that some one who does this for a hobby might be good or might have a lot to learn. I would not know the difference before hand and could easily get burned by bad work or paying for more work than was needed. I think Paul would make a very good teacher. He has been so for me.

John Powers

4. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Very cool, I'll email Paul right away.

I guess, by hobbyist I was referring to someone like this, who works out of their home and doesn't necessarily have a flashy website, etc.

Thanks much guys!

5. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I only know three in the country and they all work out of their homes.
    I’m sure big dealers have an in house person.
    My guess is their business is mostly digital today.

Glad to help.
    That is how I found Paul.
    Tell him we sent you his way.
    Good people build a business on referrals.

John

6. nsurit

nsurit Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    S.K.Grimes, an APUG sponsor is certainly worth a mention. They have done some work for me in the past, with which, I was pleased. Bill Barber

7. Doremus Scudder

Doremus Scudder Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format