Looking for a street bag with fast access.

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by waynecrider, Aug 23, 2011.

1. waynecrider

waynecrider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'd like to find a small used or new canvas type of bag with fold over flap and shoulder sling for quick access when out street shooting. Contents will either be a M3 and 50 or any AF with single short lens. The smaller the better and I'd prefer no zipper. I've yet to hit an Army/Navy store, but their products might be along the lines of what I need. Any ideas for something that doesn't scream photographer and is small?

2. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I really like my Domke F-803 (IIRC) Waxwear bag...pretty subtle. Anything like it would do as well, I reckon.

3. Paul VanAudenhove

Paul VanAudenhove Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've got a Domke F-6, and really like it. It may be a bit bigger than you need, but I usually keep a bottle of water in mine, so it looks more like a tote bag than a camera bag.

4. BobD

BobD Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    There are a zillion bags like this on eBay. They aren't made for cameras specifically so you may need to alter or pad them to suit your needs.

5. waynecrider

waynecrider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The problem is their on Ebay and it's hard to tell if they would work out, but I'm looking.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2011
  6. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I recommend the Crumpler X Million Dollar Home series. I have the 7 and it's big enough to hold four lenses (up to 300mm) or flashes and an SLR+grip with 28-75/2.8 mounted. There are smaller versions (down to the two-lens you seek) of course, but I found the velcro/clipped top-flap style to be really convenient.

The only drawback is that you can load my large one up with ~10kg of gear which is bad for your back with the one-shoulder strap.

7. Mark Fisher

Mark Fisher Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You are talking about a small Domke. I use a small-ish one (F-3x)for my medium format kit (yes, it is tight!). I have a small one (F8) that I use for a small rangefinder. The other option is to just get a small messenger or army bag and put a Domke insert in it.

8. cjbecker

cjbecker Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Im a fan of the thinktank retrospect, it is what i have. The domke’s are also very nice.

9. mathomas

mathomas Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Domke F-10. It's a "bucket style" bag with zero to get in the way of loading/unloading gear. You should be able to easily take an M with lens attached, and up to two more lenses with no stuffing or stacking. Much more, if you do stuff/stack. The big front pocket will carry a lot of film. See my review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDxB-WKiGPs

I don't demo an M setup in the vid, but I just tried it, and it would work well.

There are many other bag reviews on my channel, as well.

10. Morry Katz

Morry Katz Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Check out maxpedition.com. They have many different sizes.

11. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd get a $5-$10 used canvas bag and call it good. I've had mine for at least 15 years, probably more, and it still works fine. I think it was originally West German military surplus.

12. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Be careful if you buy Domke bags off ebay many of them are fakes, the genuine ones all have YKK zippers.

13. DBP

DBP Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A surplus musette bag or bread bag from a surplus store might be just the ticket. I have one I will sometimes use with a couple of surplus PVS 14 pouches added for lenses with the camera in between.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've got a Domke and the wife has a Crumpler, both are nice.

The Domke is basically a very nice canvas bag with a great Insert system for separating stuff, a nice array of pockets, and a great strap system. It is all business in use, really easy to use.

The "Six million dollar home" is nice too, more padded, and more frilly. Access to the camera is easy but I find myself rooting around to find the little stuff.

16. Rom

Rom Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi dear,

I use this one which i have putted inside some protection for my RF.

It doesn't lookt at all of a camera bag so, it seems for me that it is the good one for street

The link is here ---> ¤

++

17. Jesper

Jesper Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Billingham's Hadley range should suit your needs.
    Excellent quality and comfortable to carry

18. photoncatcher

photoncatcher Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have been using a cople of Maxpedition sling babs for years now. They are a bit pricey, but they will far out last my life span. I can carry 2 of my FSU Rfs, and lots of film, and still have room (in the other numerous pockets) for my phone, and other "must have stuff" Check their home page, and then look for the best price.

19. semi-ambivalent

semi-ambivalent Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Domke

Pick what you like best and don't let me sway you but, because of its history and reputation, and because of the way cotton wears, Domke is the only camera bag I've seen that looks better the worse it looks.:smile:

Check out the F3-X(?), although the F2 can look pretty small if it's not full.

s-a

20. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  21. Brett_Jurgens

Brett_Jurgens Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Crumplers are very nice and they have many different versions of the sling/messenger style bag you are looking for.

22. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  23. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  24. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Partial to the Domke F2 for 35mm and smallish MF like a Bronica SQ-B. Swapping out the bottom stiffening panel for some closed cell foam allows the bag to bend a bit and look less like a camera bag. Tons of room. The ballistic nylon is tougher than cotton canvas. If you get one, the optional postman's pad for the strap makes long carries happier.

BTW, have never seen Domke "knock-offs" online that were very convincing.

25. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  26. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    They're OK provided you travel light; otherwise, there's gear banging around inside. I tried that once and gave up after slapping together laughable padded dividers that didn't work so hot. If I use a non-camera bag now, I put 35mm bodies+lenses in Zing neoprene cases.