Looking for a Toyota Truck

Discussion in '[Classifieds] Want to Buy' started by Gustavo_Castilla, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Gustavo_Castilla

Gustavo_Castilla Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hi I know this may be not the best place to look for such things but hey what the heck !
    I am looking for a Toyota Truck in good driving condition to use as a wetplate darkroom and camping with the 22R engine 4 cylinder 4X4 will be best a 4runner even better !!!!
    manual transmission works for me!
    I will travel to pick it up !
    small budget !! I can also trade prints as part of a deal !
    email me at Gustavo@Ironworkx.net !​

2. thebanana

thebanana Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Gustavo,
    I've owned a Toyota 4 Runner, and I really can't see being able to use it for darkroom purposes. Unless you're a contortionist :wink:

It was also a POS, but maybe i just got lucky.

tb

3. Craig Swensson

Craig Swensson Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
  4. Philippe-Georges

Philippe-Georges Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What’s the difference between a 4x4 and a 4 Runner?

Philippe

5. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A 4x4 is any vehicle with four wheel drive(used to be 4 speed gear box with 4 wheel drive) a 4Runner is a specific Toyota model SUV.

Rick

6. rodneyAB

rodneyAB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm holding onto my '98 Tacoma4x4 4 cylinder. although not set up for wet-plate work, the idea is there for a camp-shell with side lift "windows", fitted with movable interior shelving and fabric tent. I think an ideal vehicle for wet-plate darkroom, good luck!

7. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wouldn't a small motor home work better for that? Toyota used to make one looked like a mini winnibago. They had sinks and counter space. Another thought would be a small tow behind, set up like a concession stand inside. You could pull it with the 4x4, then park it to go wheelin'.

Rick

8. Robert Hall

Robert Hall Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    One doesn't need a lot of room for wet plate and the "darkroom" has a bit of a different setup than a typical wet process darkroom. Many work out of the back of the vehicle in a tent or similar.

9. Andrew Moxom

Andrew Moxom Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm surprised no one brought this up already? Is it mandatory that you get a Toyota??... I'd be worried it would take off uncontrollably as the gas pedal opened up the throttle while developing a plate in the dark!! Sorry I could not resist.

10. photobizzz

photobizzz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have a 2009 Tacoma with the small rear seat and suicide doors and if you put a tall topper on it you would still have to lay down to do anything I am sure. You would be better off getting something else as your darkroom, but a you cant really go wrong with a Toyota as your vehicle. I live in Alaska and even with regular Dunlop highway tires I never get stuck, just turn the knob and put it in 4 wheel high. I even drive on the highway at 60 MPH in 4 wheel high when the roads havent been plowed very well.

11. Robert Hall

Robert Hall Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
  12. eli griggs

eli griggs Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    You might see about buying a small hauling trailer like U-Haul uses, these are often available for cheap. A tall stool will allow you a comfortable work area and there is plenty of room for gear. You could even sleep in it as needed on road-trips, I've seen them used for this a number of times.

Eli

13. mark

mark Member

GO for a 79 or 80 4WD if you can get them. Easy as hell to repair, can't be killed. I had one all the way through college and beyond.

Fond memories in that truck.

14. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Gustavo,

You can get one with the standard automatic, without warning, acceleration package for real cheap these days. :wink:

Steve

15. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    chuckle, chuckle-snort-chuckle---snort--guffaw

Rick

16. nickrapak

nickrapak Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Toyota--Once you get one, you can't stop!

17. cornelius

cornelius Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Gustavo,

I own a '91 Landcruiser with 250k+ miles on it and it's the most reliable vehicle I have owned, contrary to what some people have remarked. I purchased it after I had a little Toyota pickup (with the infamous 22RE, the year before it was branded Tacoma) and that truck was bomb-proof. I got that little truck from my sister who actually drove it a whole year with no oil registering at all on the dipstick, and it did not affect it all whatsoever.
    Back to the Landcruiser; I can tell you that MINE can go literally anywhere, and not get stuck, and I do just that with it... though it does also have a 3" Old Man Emu lift kit and lockers. This truck is more than large enough for any venture you could pursue with it, and in fact I remove the 2nd, and 3rd row seating and have a plywood flatbed I created which perfectly fits a full sized air mattress, and a gear stow space underneath. Two caveats with this setup though: 1. It will not be as cheap as the little Toyota, though Ive seen some that can be had in a similar year, in the 3-5k price range. 2. It is a gas hog. It has a standard inline 6, but this engine is huge, and because of the full time 4WD, it is not fuel friendly. Hwy mileage is actually not the worst (10-15MPG I would guess), but if you spend the day driving around a city, you can literally watch your fuel gauge meter descend.

Other than those 2 caveats, I highly recommend it. I've had to put in a new radiator since I've personally owned it (going on 6 years). That was a replacement to the original. The best part about this truck is I just get in, turn the key and go.

Good luck,
    Cornelius

18. largeformat pat

largeformat pat Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    The old 4 runner had a 2.8 L diesel here. The saying went. " ALWAYS LATE IN A 2.8"
    Pat