Looking for broken/donor c3 Matchmatic

Discussion in '[Classifieds] Want to Buy' started by pryan9, May 13, 2011.

1. pryan9

pryan9 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've inherited my grandfather's matchmatic and it was in pretty rough shape. A friend helped re-time the shutter and clean out the inside.

I'm looking for a broken copy that perhaps is in decent enough cosmetic condition that I could swap a few things out with my grandfathers.

2. Worker 11811

Worker 11811 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What parts do you need? Internal or external?

I have five C-3's but none of them are Matchmatics. From what I understand about them, the main difference between the standard C-3 and the Matchmatic is the leatherette covering on the case and a few other cosmetics.

If it's cosmetics you are looking for, I probably don't have anything you can use. If it's mechanics, there might be a solution.

3. Ottrdaemmerung

Ottrdaemmerung Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Matchmatic also had a proprietary number system for aperture and exposure, similar to the EV system, so I find the "regular" C-3 easier to use.
    Instead of going through the trouble of swapping out parts, it would probably be financially more feasible to put it on a shelf to display as a keepsake, and then a buy yourself a working C-3 of your choice off eBay to actually use. They're rather inexpensive since they're so plentiful and reliable.

4. pryan9

pryan9 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yea i was considering just putting it on a shelf but I've already started to do some work to it. Basically I'm just looking for some external parts. The shutter scene dial is scuffed and worn out quite a bit and it's hard to read the numbers. Some of the other dials are in the same shape. I was hopping someone had a matchmatic that is cosmetically nice but had internal issues they'd be willing to part with for a cheap price. Everything else on mine has been lubed and adjusted and works pretty well. Just tryin to pretty her up a little :smile:

5. Ottrdaemmerung

Ottrdaemmerung Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If the issues are merely cosmetic, then I'd suggest just trolling eBay for one you can get the cheapest, regardless of whether it works. There was also a shoe-mount selenium meter made for the Matchmatic that integrated with the numbered exposure system; it might make for a neat addition to your grandfather's kit.

6. pryan9

pryan9 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Haha yea Ive got it and it still gives accurate readings!

7. pryan9

pryan9 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    By chance does anyone know the filter size for the matchmatic? I know there are those series vi filters and everything but I was just trying to find a cheap uv filter to screw on the end. The smallest I have is 43mm and it was too big.

8. Ottrdaemmerung

Ottrdaemmerung Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I did some eBay searches for Argus filters, and with almost no exceptions the size that keeps popping up is 41mm.

9. pryan9

pryan9 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks so much!

10. Ralph Javins

Ralph Javins Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good morning, pryan9;

A couple of suggestions for argus* C3 and MatchMatic C3 resources:

http://www.arguscg.org.

arguscg@yahoogroups.com (for sending a message to them)

or, just go to YahooGroups.com, and hunt for the arguscg Group.

And, you just missed their annual gathering in Eden, North Carolina. There are a lot of people there who are willing to share knowledge and help with repairs.

You have one of the cameras that did more than the combined efforts of all other 35mm cameras to make 35mm film the film format of choice for America back in the 1950s and 1960s. There were more than two million of them made during their production from 1939 to 1966. While many today look derisively at "that lowly argus C3." there is no denying the effect that their shear weight of numbers had on photography in America. It was "the people's camera." There are millions of people today who can say; "My Dad had a C3." Unfortunately, as with your grandfather, most of the original purchasers of these cameras are gone now, so much of the history associated with these simple cameras is being lost.

* By the way, that lack of capitalization is not an error. Normally it was written with a lower case "a" as shown.

11. pryan9

pryan9 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the info Ralph. I particularly like the argus glass myself and think they are fantastic cameras for the price. Now I've never shot with the C3 but I have a C4 with the 50mm cintagon and the image quality holds up quite strongly to some of my more "collectible" lenses.

Currently my argus has been stripped of the leather since it was very dirty and mangled. I can't believe how beautiful the chrome underneath it is though! wow! I was able to shine it right up and it looks pretty freakin cool :smile:

I think my plans are to purchase a dark green leather from cameraleather to replace the old stuff. I was also thinking about having my friend who works at an engraving store print me up a badge on some shiney metal that I will place opposite the argus badge with my grandfathers name "H.F. Adams". He had his name stuck to the back leather using with one of those sticky plastic labels with the beveled white lettering. I'm pretty excited to finish this up. I will post the finish picture when it's done.

As for now...here is an iphone photo of the polished chrome Matchmatic (sorry for the quality, it was taken using one of those photo apps)

[​IMG]

12. Les Sarile

Les Sarile Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    You think Argus will honor the Lifetime Warranty on yours . . . ;-)

[​IMG]

I have not seen any other camera that gives this kind of warranty.

13. pryan9

pryan9 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hahaha

14. Anscojohn

Anscojohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have a like new Matchmatic, with meter and flash. It's in a case bottom. May have the top someplace. Make offer. Jaykhill@aol.com.

15. pryan9

pryan9 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Finished. A friend was able to CLA the camera and re-time the shutterspeeds and I replaced the leather with an emerald color kit from cameraleather.com

[​IMG]

16. Neanderman

Neanderman Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Who would have thought?? I guess we're just social creatures to look for reasons to gather with those of like mind.

Any other Kodak #3-A Post card camera lovers out there? :whistling:

Ed

17. Francis in VT

Francis in VT Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Keystone Camera Co. Boston MA Offered a lifetime guarantee also.
    The building is now apartments.

Francis in VT