Looking for brown bottles

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Steve Mack, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Steve Mack

Steve Mack Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm looking for sources for brown glass jugs that would be suitable for use as developer and fixer storage in my darkroom. Beer bottles are not really acceptable, and I remember seeing brown gallon jugs somewhere, sometime in my past. But I can't seem to find any for sale. Can anyone help, point out a source, etc.?

I would prefer glass to brown plastic.

Thanks to all who reply.

With best regards,

Stephen S. Mack

2. DeBone 75

DeBone 75 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Antique Stores usally have some also some "junk" stores

3. jovo

jovo Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've gotten some good dark glass bottles that held spring water. The water's good, and then the bottle is too.

4. steven_e007

steven_e007 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Don't know if this works in the US - but in the UK just pop into any pharmacist (drug store) and they'll sell you empty bottles up to 500ml for a few pence. Bigger bottles, 1 litre and 2 litre, occassionally bigger, are used for 'Calpol' - a syrup with paracetamol in it used for kids. You have to ask them to save you the empties. They sell gallons of this stuff a week, so it doesn't take long...

HTH

5. VaryaV

VaryaV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is where I get most of my amber bottles and jugs:

http://www.alkemlab.com

I do have another company I've bought from too but forgot to bookmark it.

6. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    google Boston Rounds, and you should come up with several places that sell that sort of thing. I just can't remember the name of the online store i bought a case from a year or so ago , or i would pass along the link

7. eworkman

eworkman Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
  8. DarkroomDan

DarkroomDan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  9. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    At my university (and really any university or college with any bio/physics/chem/engineering departments) we routinely discard big brown bottles, typically 1 or 5 or 10L. They are most typically used for high vapor-pressure solvents such as acetone, isopropanol, methanol and other alcohols, so they are very easily cleaned. Smaller bottles of nastier organic substances should be avoided, but the alcohol bottles are ideal.... and usually free to a good home. Typically, if I walk down the halls by the labs I can pick up a dozen of them at a time. I take a cautious whiff to be sure nothing was mixed in (don't ever trust labels!) and take what I like. Why not recycle?!

P.S. C'ville isn't that far from Dillwyn...

10. BetterSense

BetterSense Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Why no beer bottles?

I get 500mL and 1L amber beer bottles at a local homebrewing store for $2 each. They have nice, reclosable wire tops that are impossible to lose and can be operated with one hand. If you don't have a homebrowing store, any decent pub should carry some kind of beer in the "good" bottles, which is probably pretty expensive for beer but hey, good bottles.

11. Nicholas Lindan

Nicholas Lindan Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nalgene labware bottles work as well as glass for storing photographic chemicals. A whole lot better if you happen to drop the bottle.

There is no reason to use brown glass if you store the chemicals in the darkroom or in a closed cupboard or box - it being dark in there just about all of the time. A cheap alternative, though not pretty, is to wrap the bottle in black plastic from a garbage bag.

12. JMcLaug351

JMcLaug351 Member

Brown bottles

I got mine here. freundcontainer.com Lots of choices and sizes.
    JOHN

13. outwest

outwest Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The best and safest ones are the plastic coated Boston rounds. Shop around and you will find some inexpensive ones in various sizes and with a choice of lid material.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. c.w.

c.w. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use old Mississippi Mud jugs.

16. jgjbowen

jgjbowen Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Keith,

next time I'm in Charlottesville I'll give you a heads-up and collect a few of these discards....

Hope all is well,
    John

17. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Stephen, I am curious, are you going to us Nitrogen gas or marbles or? for the developer (to purge the air)?

18. lns

lns Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    APUG sponsors Photographers' Formulary and Bostick & Sullivan have amber glass bottles. B&H carries them too.

-Laura

19. JCT

JCT Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've ordered Boston Rounds from Specialty Bottle (be sure to get the polyseal caps), very reasonable and quick shipping.

I have also ordered amber wine bottles so I can use a VacuSeal with them:
    http://www.annapolishomebrew.com/ .

Both highly recommended.

JT

20. Jeff Searust

Jeff Searust Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    Most cities have a chemical supply company that carries things like that--- yes homebrewing stores are a good option also-- My regular place http://www.capitolscientific.com/ seriously changed after 9-11, and no longer has a "store" but I can still amble up to the dock at the place and buy quarts of acids and reagents without any real issue. -- I have had to sign a few extra documents for some of the really fun stuff, but I can still buy it.

21. George Collier

George Collier Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, why not beer bottles, as BetterSense suggests? I like the idea of smaller size. I use a set of old Pinch scotch (I've moved up to single malt since then) bottles for print developer because I like the shape and permanent plastic top, but the idea of the permanent clip stopper sounds good.

22. tbm

tbm Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I ordered multiple sizes of amber bottles with screw-on plastic tops from Photographer's Forumulary a long time ago and they are superb!

23. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    May I suggest that you use clear glass bottles or clear thick plastic? If kept in a dark or dim space that is cool, this is as good as brown glass or plastic bottles.

PE

24. Bruce Watson

Bruce Watson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    What you need is a bottle designed to keep oxygen out. At least one industry has centuries of experience with this -- the wine industry.

What I use is old wine bottles -- just about any restaurant comes up with a bunch of empties every night. I find the 1.5 liter size especially useful, but I really like the new 1.0 liter size. Keeps the math simple. :D

With the wine bottles I use the Vacu Vin system to seal the bottle and pull a vacuum over the chems. Storing the chems in a thick glass bottle under vacuum is hard to beat.

Recommended shelf life of XTOL stock is supposedly six months. I easily get 12 months from XTOL stock stored using the above system. Just sayin'.

As for fixer. Unless you are using the hardener for some reason, I suggest making up fixer as you need it from concentrate instead of making and storing a stock solution. Fixer stock dies a horrible death of crystalization and it makes it nearly impossible to get the containers clean afterwords. Making working solution from concentrate just requires a small graduate. Again, just sayin'.

25. eclarke

eclarke Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I bought 1 gal. brown glass jugs with excellent screw tops from Freund Container...Evan Clarke

26. doomtroll

doomtroll Member

Shooter:
    35mm