Looking for inexpensive darkroom rental NYC

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by mcfactor, Apr 15, 2008.

1. mcfactor

mcfactor Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Im looking for an inexpensive black and white darkroom in NYC that I can rent, for a few times a week at most. I use 4x5 and 6x7 primarily. I have been to printspace and, while their facilities are nice, $18 an hour is too much. Im familiar with ICP, but i need to build up credits there as a TA before i can really work there.

I have been doing photography for almost ten years now. I have been in Seoul, korea for the last two years teaching english and exhibiting there. Now that im back in Brooklyn i need a reliable place to work. It doesnt have to be fancy, just reliable.

any suggestions?

2. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I haven't used them myself, but try--

http://www.cameraclubny.org/

I've always decided that I prefer the inconveniences of the dark/bathroom to the inconveniences of shared darkroom space, but I've looked into the options in case the dark/bathroom were to become really impossible, and this didn't seem too bad.

3. mcfactor

mcfactor Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Thanks, Ill look into that. I also prefer to work alone, but since im now living with my parents, in a fairly small bathroom, its not an option.

4. mcfactor

mcfactor Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Any other idea?

5. frotog

frotog Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'm not sure about b/w rental but color rental is $11 or $12 per hour at my own color lab on w. 27th st. It seems as though everyone I know who's still printing has moved from print space to my own over the past few years.

6. john cowie

john cowie Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi, I came across a lab called Mackensie, or something like that, in Williamsburg and they might rent space.

7. mcfactor

mcfactor Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Thanks for your responses, The Camera Club is too expensive for me (at $1,600 a year). I will definietly check out My Own Color lab and Mack's for color, the prices are certainly better. But both only do color and Im still in need of a black and white darkroom.

Oh, I was also informed that no rental lab will allow toning because of DEP regulations, so I guess i'll be doing that step at home (my parents wont be happy about that one).

8. pesphoto

pesphoto Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Why not grab a cheap enlarger somewhere and set up your own bathroom darkroom.

9. mcfactor

mcfactor Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Like I mentioned earlier, i dont have room for it. my bathroom is very small and there isnt enough space for a 4x5 enlarger. It also isnt light proof, which would not be problem normally, except that im sharing it with my parents who would not be happy with a windowless bathroom. nor would they be happy with not being able to use the bathroom for hours on end. Any other suggestions?

10. pesphoto

pesphoto Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    What about the ICP in NYC?

11. tim elder

tim elder Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My Own Color Lab has a B&W RC processor, probably about 30" wide, so you can do black & white there. The JCC also has black & white facilities; I've been meaning to check them out for several years...

Tim

12. mcfactor

mcfactor Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Yeah, the JCC is definitely an option, they're prices are reasonable, I dont know about their facilities. I print on fiber, so a processor is not an option, but i will use them for color. I actually think i found a darkroom share on craigslist for about $100 a month, so ill check it out next week and if its good, ill do that. thanks

like I said in the initial post, i need to start working there as a TA first to build up some credits to use the darkroom, but I am working on it. When you work as a TA you can build up darkroom credits. thanks