Looking for inspiration from film photographers

Discussion in 'Photographers' started by smileyguy, Mar 8, 2006.

1. smileyguy

smileyguy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Subject heading pretty much says it all. But to be more specific...

I have been reading too many threads lately about digi vs film photography and as I am still shooting film (35mm SLR and RF) I am looking for some inspiration from some pro photogs who are still doing the same. I just get tired of hearing how film is dead etc. and I just bought a bunch of 100ASA and was having a momentary feeling of being bummed out about it. :sad:

I'm not anti-digital and I am not on a soapbox and definitely don't want this to turn into a "film is dead" thread or a digi vs film thread. Just looking for inspiring images from film photogs.

Any takers?

2. jovo

jovo Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm not sure just exactly what you're looking for. This is indeed a great site for inspiration and an enormous store of knowledge about traditional photography. In addition, there's a great deal of fine work posted in the gallery and regional opportunities to meet other photographers who are members here. Just read for a while....check the forum threads....there's plenty to explore. Beyond that, what I mean is that I don't know what you're hoping this particular thread will reveal.

3. smileyguy

smileyguy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Nothing terribly complicated really. I was hoping for people to point me to galleries of their favourite photographers who are still working in film.

I am a member of a local camera club. I enjoy it and enjoy taking pictures but lately discussions there have been heavy on the digital side, i.e., capture software, PS stuff, digi cams, etc. I have read a few articles in a couple of magazines about photographers and their work who happen to be working in film. I find that kind of thing inspiring and was just hoping for more.

4. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Well, almost all the great photographs in the history of photography were made with film and traditional techniques, and it's only recently that digital photography has entered the scene, so there is a world of inspiring material out there.

Even if you look at a publication like _Outdoor Photographer_ where all the ads and technical articles are digital, you'll see that most of the portfolios are shot with film.

5. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Addendum--Since you're asking this question on APUG, you might find the most inspiration to come from real prints, rather than something you can see on the web or in books. I certainly do. Go over to the "Member Organized Functions" forum, and check out the print exchanges and the postcard exchange, and join the next one that comes up, and since you're in Ontario, you can come to the APUG Conference in Toronto in May.

6. Peter Williams

Peter Williams Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  7. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    KEITH CARTER!!!!!!!!!! I just met this man. He is a tremedous photographer, and what I consider the Will Rogers of photography. If you ever have the chance to meet, hear or just be around this man take that chance. Simple enduring images of what he calls this small planet.

8. Claire Senft

Claire Senft Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hopeful am I that you find the inspiration that you are seeking. I would ask you to consider that your inspiration need not come from a professional photographer. Photography, in my opinion, is not 'ipso facto' better because was receives money from doing so.

9. smileyguy

smileyguy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Claire, I agree. There is a lot of great stuff out there being created by hobby/amateur photographers and professionals alike. I just read and hear so much about workflow and instant client feedback and flexibility and speed of production etc. that I would love to hear from someone that has continued to create beautiful work in film and maintained a client base or created a new market or something like that.

I don't think it's a matter of me wanting to make money--I'm in no league to turn pro--it's just the fact of seeing somebody at a very high level doing what I would like to do but doing it with film. (If that makes any sense.)

Thanks for all the replies so far. Inspiring, to say the least.

10. SuzanneR

SuzanneR Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  11. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  12. GraemeMitchell

GraemeMitchell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Here are a few, all fashion, all top names, but all film (as far as I know):

http://jedroot.com/photogr/du/uchitel-fashion.php
    http://jedroot.com/photogr/kb/bolofo-wfashion.php
    http://www.mfilomeno.com/peterlindbergh/lindbergh.html
    http://www.art-dept.com/artists/afanador/index.html
    http://www.richardphibbs.com/main.html
    http://www.stocklandmartel.com/main.aspx (click on Kwaku Alston or better yet Nadav Kander)
    http://www.artandcommerce.com/AAC/C...StaticPage_VPage&SP=listAssignment&XX=Artists (click on McDean, Leibovitz, Unwerth, etc)

If that's not enough to get your scooter going about the most inspirational film imagery I've seen recently is any movie shot by Christopher Doyle (2046, In the Mood for Love, Chungking Express, Hero, Rabbit Proof Fence...)

13. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The galleries in APUG are a start, but you have to be a subscriber to view more than thumbnails, so ...

However, I don't think you need to subscribe to look at the APUG featured photographer (I could be wrong), and once you get to that page, there is a link to look at all the past features.

Then, scan through the forums that interest you, and you will notice that a lot of members have links to their websites below their signatures.

I'll give you a start with a member who is a friend:

http://www.scootermagruder.com/

Cheers,

David

14. smileyguy

smileyguy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for all the great links and the inspiration, folks! That was exactly what I needed. And you're right, it doesn't need to be all pro photogs. In addition to this thread I picked up some books and mags at the library. One of the mags was the recent popular photography with winners from the international photo contest in it. Many, many great photographs shot on film! Very inspirational especially in a mag that is so heavy on the digital content.

Now I have to go and shoot!!

15. jovo

jovo Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    One more photog who uses film (P67, Wista, and Rollieflex) and who's work I love is Nana Sousa Diaz. He has a website, but it's still under construction so one is redirected to his extensive gallery at photo.net. He's also been featured in B&W magazine.