Looking for inspirational/example prints

Discussion in 'Photographers' started by hidesert, Oct 18, 2012.

1. hidesert

hidesert Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thirty years ago I purchased an Ansel Adams print by his assistant when I visited Yosemite. It's one of his later pieces done in MF. Since I work in MF I used it as reference standard for my prints for technical quality. I'd like to have some additional examples from other photographers. So can anyone recommend some current photographers who work in B&W MF, do landscapes, are exemplary printers, and whose work is affordable (approximately in the low three figures ($US) for unmounted 8x10 or 11x14)?

Thanks!

2. Rafal Lukawiecki

Rafal Lukawiecki Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you like AA printing style, consider John Sexton, if you are looking for a bigger name. May I suggest you also browse the work of many APUGers, quite a few landscapists here, and it is nice to compare styles.

3. eddie

eddie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd agree that there are some excellent MF landscapists, here. Off hand, I'd suggest a look at Bill Schwab's work. Don't know about his pricing, though.
    Also, check out the APUG MN guys- Thomas Bertilsson and Andrew Moxom. Both worthy of a spot on your walls.

4. mopar_guy

mopar_guy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  5. eddie

eddie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think you need to be a subscriber to access the Galleries. Well worthwhile, I think...

6. mopar_guy

mopar_guy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was looking at the portfolios and I was not logged in.

7. adelorenzo

adelorenzo Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  8. jvo

jvo Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    living near clyde butcher, been to his studio, see his prints around - all good stuff, great quality in the AA style... i can also say i've seen a greater variety, excellent quality, creativity and workmanship from many of the apuggers here.... i would spend some time looking on this site, you'll see some truly excellent work - worthwhile, enjoyable, instructive.:smile:

jvo

9. hidesert

hidesert Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It's nice work but it's large format and out of my price range.

10. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I will second Rafal's recommendation. You will not find better printing in the west coast tradition. Although most of his work is large format, he has done quite a lot of work in MF. I own several of his prints and a few of them are from MF negatives. However be prepared to wait up to a few years for a specific print order - although he does periodically offer print runs of popular images which have short delivery times.

11. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hi

on the menubar, there is a button that says "portfolios" its next to chat and gallery ...
    poke around the portfolios area and see if you like any of the photographs from
    photographers here on apug. they will probably sell you or trade with you a print.

well known photographers work is quite expensive ..

good luck
    john

ps. i'd send you one of my prints but it is not the genre you seem to be interested in ...

12. mark

mark Member

You might check this guy out. It appears he knows how to use a camera and might fit your requirements
    http://www.billschwab.com/

13. c6h6o3

c6h6o3 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Steve Sherman

Scott Killian

Two of the finest printers on the planet. I would also contact the Paul Paletti Gallery in Louisville, Ky. and describe what you want. They know a lot of emerging photographers of extremely high quality who might be very affordable for you. Sherman just had a one man show there, BTW.

Hope this helps.