Looking for Recommendation

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by bobwysiwyg, Apr 5, 2008.

1. bobwysiwyg

bobwysiwyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm pretty new to the forum (great by the way). I've always focused (pun intended:smile:) on B&W but strictly 35mm so far. I would like to venture into 4x6 and wondered if there's an enlarger that will handle both formats? If so, I would, for cost reasons, be looking at used equipment. Are there any makes or models, if they exist, anyone could recommend?

2. Jon Shiu

Jon Shiu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    The Omega D2-V is a good model that is cheap and also the Beseler 45MXT. Both are widely used and so lots of parts and accessories are available on the used market.

Jon

3. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In general enlargers can take any format up to their maximum, but you'll need different lenses and negative carriers for each format. There are several Omega models that can go up to 4x5 they are all very similar, I think their D-5 model is the most current. There are lots of variations on the large Beselers as well.
    As Jon says, both the Omegas and Beselers are very common in the U.S. and are available for a small fraction of their original cost on ebay and Craigslist. On ebay, watch for auctions that are local pickup only that are within what you consider easy driving distance. Other good choices that aren't quite so common here are Durst, DeVere and Saunders/LPL.

4. Peter De Smidt

Peter De Smidt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    All of these can work. The Dursts and De Vere's followed by the Saunders are nicer, though, than the Omegas and Beselers. Given the low cost of all of these, I recommend spending some time and getting one of the better ones. Mind you, you'll have to pay more attention that all of the accessories are there, as they can be hard to find. The great thing about, for example, a De Vere is that it's very easy to align all of the stages. I have three De Vere enlargers, and I love them.

5. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They all made a range of models. I like my Beseler better then my Durst.

If you can find it I'd suggest looking for a Beseler CB-7 like mine. Negative holders,lensboards and even heads from the other Beseler 4x5s can be used.

6. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Check craigslist in your area or Detroit.

7. bobwysiwyg

bobwysiwyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks all for the replies. I wondered if it was a matter of the larger formats would always be able to handle "down" with the correct accessory, but I wasn't sure. Lens difference makes sense also. Just don't have room for two enlargers and would always want to be able to handle 35mm.

8. haris

haris Guest

Yup, virtually all enlargers work with all film sizes up to their maximum (OK, maybe some exotic models don't, but you most likely won't find any of those :smile:). Of course, you need different lenses and condensor/mixing chambers for particular film size...

9. CPorter

CPorter Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have an LPL 4550 XLG (VCCE head) and I highly recommend it---it's an excellant enlarger for all formats from 4x5 down to 35mm.

10. Lee L

Lee L Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  11. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've not seen an enlarger yet that could not accept any negative smaller than the maximum size specified for the machine. This assumes that the correct condensers, if so equipped, and negative carriers are available. I have no problem using 35mm negatives with my Omega D series enlarger. My enlarger is equipped with the Chromega II light source, so condensers are not part of the setup. The largest available light mixing chamber works fine for all formats. That said, making small 4x6 prints from 35mm negatives with the 50mm lens attached is not practical. There is no way to get the head close enough to the baseboard. If you could, exposure times would be unreasonably short. The solution is to use a longer focal length lens. Something around 80mm gives enough distance to work comfortably when making small prints. A 50mm lens fitted to this enlarger is better suited to making 8x10 and larger prints from miniature negatives.