Looking in my darkroom box

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by wogster, Jun 14, 2009.

1. wogster

wogster Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have a partly used bottle of Ilford DD-X, a partly used bottle of Ilford odourless indicator stop bath and a partly used bottle of Ilford Fixer, all purchased just after Christmas 2006. I got away from doing film for a while, so which ones do I toss without even looking at?

I figure the DD-X is dead will try to get a kids medicine measuring needle thing (what do they call those) and an bottle of HC110. Wondering about the Fix and Stop though.

2. archphoto

archphoto Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    You can test the fix by just putting a piece of non-developed film in it: if it clears the film, it should be OK.
    Stopbath is citric acid I beleve and should not give a problem either.

Peter

3. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Stop bath has an almost indefinite shelf life. Fixers last a long time too, but can go bad. If the fixer is cloudy or smells of sulphur, it's gone. Toss it and don't look back. The developer is certainly shot by now. Liquid concentrated developers have a fairly short shelf life, shorter when opened. The only really long lasting ones are HC-110 and Rodinal. All others have a shelf life of 6 months or less.

4. wogster

wogster Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'll toss the developer and probably the fix as well....

5. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If the fixer isn't cloudy and doesn't smell of sulphur, it's worth checking for activity.

A clip test will check the fixer for you - if a short piece of 35mm film clears in a minute or so (slightly longer for T-grain films), it should be usable.

Matt

6. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    But here's the thing, and I've had this happen to me. Even if the fixer is a little cloudy, it will have some capacity to dissolve the silver halides. The problem is that the cloudiness is made of small particles of sulfur that can and will stick to the emulsion. Washing may not remove this crud, and when the film dries these particles will be stuck there for good. Result = ruined film. Not worth the risk.