looking to buy a dark room set

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by jaimeb82, Jan 8, 2009.

1. jaimeb82

jaimeb82 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am really new to film photography, someone is selling a darkroom set on craigslist, but since I have not much idea about brands, models, quality of things related to darkroom equipment etc... I was wondering if any of you could give me some advice about this darkroom package.

1.- is this set good for a newbie like me?
    2.- does it contain the basics to start developing and printing on my own?

Thanks in advance, here is the link to his post:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/pho/979620574.html

2. pgomena

pgomena Member

That looks like a great setup. You probably can flesh out the remaining things you will need for a reasonably small amount of money. (There is always something else you need . . .)

Peter Gomena

3. JRJacobs

JRJacobs Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That's a pretty complete setup. Like Peter said, there may be a few odds and ends you will still need, but that is a pretty good one. Good lenses, good enlarger, and good easel. Make him an offer.

4. jaimeb82

jaimeb82 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    thank you guys for the quick response and help. So the set will work and is not something really old etc... My other wonder is that I just realized I have no way to test if the enlarger is in good order, will work, is it broken?. I guess I am up to my own luck with that one?

5. Konical

Konical Subscriber

Good Afternoon, Jaime,

I agree with the other comments. The items are standard, good-quality stuff. Check the lenses for clarity and proper aperture function. Check the enlarger for any obvious damage or missing parts; the picture is too small to be sure, but I see no visible problems. Enlargers are rather simple things, and most defects are not hard to spot. If you can get the entire set-up for a few hundred dollars, you should be OK.

Konical

6. eddie gunks

eddie gunks Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    just see if the enlarge bulb turns on and off. you should be fine.

just remember, people are almost giving darkrooms away! i turn them down all the time.

what format do you shoot? keep an eye out for an old DII by omega. it will handle up to 4x5.

i would say you should be able to get everything you need for under $100! especially if you are in the NYC area. i ma in kingston NY just 90miles N. if you need any help send me a PM or an e mail.

FWIW i got an 8x10 dever enlarger with a timer, 16x20 4 blade easel, the lens all for $200! smaller enlargers are much much cheaper. i got a 23 C like you are looking at 4 years ago with everything to get me going for $75!

eddie

7. eddie gunks

eddie gunks Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
  8. jaimeb82

jaimeb82 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was thinking no more than $500, but he is thinking more like $800, he's got an offer already and will let me know. Are we talking to much money in here or price seems about right considering a new set will go around the $2000? If I don't buy this set I will go and do my homework, but if the deal is a steal I would like to get it and start getting my hands dirty with developing on my own.

9. jaimeb82

jaimeb82 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ups! while typing my email some of you guys posted and I didn't see those crazy rates, it seems like for $800 he is overpricing me!

10. jaimeb82

jaimeb82 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    eddie gunks, 35mm and Mamiya RB67 Medium Format (120).

11. Jeff Searust

Jeff Searust Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    $800 for all that stuff--- no way.

My best deal was $65 for a 45MX and the dude tossed in a 23c if I would cart it away too.

Do some research on eBay, and I think you can find MUCH better deals.

12. CBG

CBG Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You should be able to do way better than $800.00 for what you are looking for. 23Cs are in huge supply used right now. Some folks are giving them away literally. It's a tough time for sellers since there's an oversupply. Good for buyers.

If you can possibly find and bring an experienced darkroom worker / photographer to visit whatever equipment you hope to purchase, that would be safest, since it's worse than hard to evaluate the actual condition of equipment over the phone or viewing type on craiglist. Use common sense and make sure things are up to snuff. That's where having someone who's been in a darkroom a lot is valuable.

When you are new to all this it can be overwhelming - but asking questions here can take a lot of the pressure off.

Best,

C

13. pgomena

pgomena Member

I have no doubt the seller paid $2000 for all that gear. Parting with such an investment is tough when it becomes "obsolete." Like the others have said, it's a buyer's market. Your $500 bid was not out of line. Getting it all in one nice package is worth a little extra compared to trying to find all that stuff individually. Sit and wait and see what happens.

Peter Gomena

14. Venchka

Venchka Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Buy darkroom equipment? That's a novel approach. I got two darkrooms for the cost of gas to go and collect the stuff. The first trip didn't include everything I needed, but the second trip did. So, I now have 2 enlargers (1-4x5 & 1-6x6), several lenses, timers, safelights, easels, trays, beakers, Paterson reels & tanks, etc., etc., etc.

15. CBG

CBG Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  16. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    He should expect to get about 10 percent of what he paid for it, at the most. If he wants more, forget it. This stuff comes up all the time. Don't feel bad. It's his fault for selling it. If he was still using it, instead of selling it, maybe it would actually be worth what he paid for it!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2009
  17. white.elephant

white.elephant Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Here is Phoenix every week there's a set of darkroom stuff for sale. In this environment, at least, it's got to be a GREAT set to command even more than $150 for the whole shebang. Most sets go for less than $100. I just bought a set of beautiful darkroom equipment, Beseler enlarger, et al, for $80.

18. eddie gunks

eddie gunks Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    great! you are shooting 6x7. be sure you get one that will do that and might as well hold out for one that does 4x5! you should atleast try 4x5! you can get in for under $400 for a working set up easy! i just sold a 4x5 mono rail for $85! it is great to try. i would say keep an eye out for a sub-100$ set up for a DR that will do 4x5 and then use the other $400 you almost spent ona 4x5! :smile: :smile:

are you in NY area?

oh! he is bluffing on having another offer! IMO. trust me. keep it under $100

eddie

ps. try for the 3rd link i posted earlier....should be able to do it for less than 100

19. mwdake

mwdake Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    $800 is more than similar stuff is selling for these days, in my opinion.
    What he paid for it is not really relevant anymore, it is what it is worth now that is important.

I snagged a D5 with a ton of stuff for $100.

Keep looking.